keg cooling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad hops

Reaction score
I have read many ideas to keep kegs chilled for an ample amount of time. Usually the legnth of a party and maybe the following day. I am unable to have a extra fridge to maintain keg temps in my house. The ability is just not their. does anyone have any ideas for a method that i could use for day to day use. Or something that wont take too much to invest money to maintain day to day.
:tank:
I have looked into the tap a draft systems and place one in my normal day to day fridge... but have been skeptical of everything i have read on here about them. And 2.5 gallon kegs are just unresonably expensive.. migt as well go with 5 gallons.

I know this question is an off the wall one but i figured that this would be the right place to ask for some ideas and pointers.
:drunk:
thanks in advance for any help!! :rockin:

I think someone (maybe it's Short Drive?) kegs and keeps the keg in his basement in a rubbermaid trashcan or something like that, with some ice in it. You can try PMing him and asking him about it. Or maybe whoever it is will post here and correct me.

I think anything you use would have the same footprint as a small dorm frige. Is it you cant spare the electric ? If you used a large cooler like the Coleman 80 qt and stand it up so that the lid was now a door it might work but you would need to use some type of contained ice like 1 liter bottles to keep it cool as the water would run out .So it really would be a little labor to keep it cool.

I recently saw a 3.9 cf dorm frige at I'm thinking Sears that was dented for like 85 $ I would just keep looking around and check craigslist everyday.

problem is their is no craigslist here or ways to get such items. also electricity is high priced.

i really just want to avoid usuing bottles. And have dreamed of getting a keg setup.

Put your keg in a primary bucket...surround with ice and add some water.

Don't worry about the top not being chilled...the brew is pumped from the bottom where it's cold. ;)

I do this for most parties that I travel to. :mug:

problem is their is no craigslist here or ways to get such items. also electricity is high priced.

i really just want to avoid usuing bottles. And have dreamed of getting a keg setup.

doh I didn't notice you were in Naples . Guess its going to be buckets and ice I was in Naples last year went to Capri and Rome also . Loved it we want to go back in the near future.

What would the possibility be for you to put a cold plate in your refridgerator and keep the kegs on the outside. This would really cut down on the room taken up in the fridge. It might not look to great in your kitchen but I think it would work.

Latest posts

Back