Bulk aging sours and long distance move

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
I have 3 sours going, a 10 month old pLambic, a 3 month of Supplication clone, and another 1 month old pLambic. I may be moving across the country in the next 6 months. What, if any, will be the negative effects of moving these carboys across the country?

Oxidation from sloshing around in the vehicle and higher temps associated with being outside of a house. If I were in your shoes, I would keg all 3 a few days before the move, flush them with CO2, and get them cold to survive the move. Or you could bottle them and let them age in the bottle if they are at terminal gravity. No matter what you do, it will be hard on the beer but sometimes life gets in the way of hobbies.

kegging and flushing is probably your best bet, I lost a F Red during a move. the pellicle dropped (obviously) and the sloshing around helped the brett form some nasty compounds particularily ethyl acetate (aka nail polish remover)

Back