Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I have been sampling varieties of beer for years, but I am not familiar with Kolsch. What is a Kolsch? I have seen a few pics of what people say is Kolsch and the name sounds German or from one of the countries near there...

Can anyone describe it? is there a commercial version?

Personally I am a European Lager/Pilsner lover as well as reds, some stouts and Cerveza (Corona/Sol)

Thanks

It is basically a northern German pilsener made with ale yeast. It is, literally, the beer from Koln.

There are a couple German examples available in the US and maybe more domestic versions depending on where you live.

It is basically a northern German pilsener made with ale yeast. It is, literally, the beer from Koln.

There are a couple German examples available in the US and maybe more domestic versions depending on where you live.

It tastes exactly like remilard describes. It's light, crisp, and a great session beer. I've never been able to find it in the US, but I drank a few in Cologne (the English translation of the city of Koln).

It's one of my favorite German beers. I like some "bigger" lagers like dopplebock or even maibock, but the light crisp refreshing kolsch is a very nice beer.

I have all the ingredients for a German Pilsner in my fridge (including Pilsner yeast) but no room in my keggerator to make a Lager, maybe I should toss in some ale yeast and make a Kolsch.

Koelsch is an appellation for top-fermented and lagered beers brewed according to the Koelsch Konvention. Koelsch is one of the relatively few German Barley ales and a regional specialty of the Rhineland around Cologne (much like Altbier is a regional specialty of the Rhineland around Duesseldorf).

Look for Reissdorf, Gaffel and Suenner in the U.S. for authentic examples. They'll be a bit more stale than what you would get in Cologne, but they are still fantastic - especially the Gaffel and Suenner.

I have all the ingredients for a German Pilsner in my fridge (including Pilsner yeast) but no room in my keggerator to make a Lager, maybe I should toss in some ale yeast and make a Kolsch.

I like Kolsch yeast, fermented at about 62, and then lagered for about 4 weeks. I don't think I'd use just any ale yeast and then ferment higher than about 62. It's an ale, but it's not the least bit truly fruity in my mind.

Back