My first batch is in primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
My first batch is in primary as of 5pm....lots of fun! I used an extract kit with specialty grains, let the grains steep for 30 minutes at 150 F, then brought it up to a boil and added the other ingredients.

I used the wort chiller that came in my kit and it did wonders, yeah I know I just did an extract boil, about 2.5 gallons, but it brought it down.

Then I rehydrated my yeast and put it in, shook the crap out of it, and now it seems like its bubbling well, the airlock is kinda weird, a cap over the tube instead of a one piece airlock, so I hope it is ok.

So how long should I keep the blonde ale in there?

My SG reading was 1.050....did I read the hydrometer right?

In any case, the bug has bit me and I want to do another batch already!

Congratulations!

It will be hard but leave it in the primary for 3 weeks, take a reading and make sure it's finished, then bottle and wait another 3 weeks. Save a few bottles for another month so you can see what it tastes like fully aged. Start a new batch as soon as you can.

Excellent :).

The 3 piece air locks work great and are easy to clean.

1.050 sounds about right(always make adjustment for wort temp).

2 days later I have taken a SG reading which is 1.020. It has ceased bubbling except for a little bit. It was going crazy there for those 2 days though!

So is 1.020 close to what it should be? I took the sample from my satellite fermenter.

2 days later I have taken a SG reading which is 1.020. It has ceased bubbling except for a little bit. It was going crazy there for those 2 days though!

So is 1.020 close to what it should be? I took the sample from my satellite fermenter.

Sounds good, another week or two and it should be be ready.

Latest posts

Back