3/8" drill, automatic wort stirrer for immersion chiller - w/pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
I made this automatic wort stirrer to help out my copper immersion chiller.
(Pictures below)

3/8" drill - $18 dollars from Harbor Freight
1/4" 304 stainless steel rod from Amazon
The paddle was made from some excess steel from one of my keggle builds.

Soldered the the rod and the stainless steel paddle together using the technique described in the stainless steel sticky on this forum.

I have a ring clamp wrapped around the handle, I just tighten up the ring clamp and that presses the trigger on the drill.

It worked great. The drill is variable speed, so I can go from a slow swirl to full whirlpool, that will even oxygenate the wort.

I place the immersion chiller and stirrer into the wort at 15 minutes to sanitize.

The stirrer and the wort chiller combo chilled 10 gallons of wort in 20 minutes.

DSC01501.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

laying plywood over your chilled wort? maybe find some sort of plastic cutting board material, something that can be sanitized?

laying plywood over your chilled wort? maybe find some sort of plastic cutting board material, something that can be sanitized?

I have thought about it, but I'm really not to worried about bacteria falling off the wood and into the wort.

This is actually the second prototype (the first was with a cordless screwdriver, batteries kept running out). So I have made about 6 batches with this setup and no issues.

However, I am thinking of mounting it to a stainless steel lid.

Back