Immersion coolers, theory vs practice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an aluminum kettle from Academy Sports. I place it in a galvanized garbage can and add enough water and ice to go up to the handles. I leave the lid on the kettle...sometimes I leave ice sitting on the lid. I add ice as necessary to replace what melts. I sometimes stir the ice around a bit, but I absolutely never disturb the kettle because I really like the cold break that I get when I don't stir the kettle at all--all the solid material forms clumps that are easy to avoid when siphoning. I don't even use a thermometer anymore, because I know from experience that the wort will be down to 20-23C in about 25 minutes, so I pull it out then and when I siphon it, I can tell it's cool enough because it feels cool through the siphon hose, and the stick-on thermometer of my fermenter says the temperature once the level of the wort gets up that far.

So basically you buy 60 lbs of ice per batch of beer? No thanks.

I doubt it's 60lb, but I don't buy it anyway. I get it from my fridge's icemaker and collect it in my chest freezer in plastic shopping bags. So it doesn't cost me anything other than whatever extra electricity is used to make it, and that is probably recovered because supposedly freezers are more efficient the more full they are.

Thanks for the info on temp impact to the early fermentation. I can rig up a prechiller or go the ice bath route. In the winter I can "float" the boil pot in the pool and that helps. I just sure why it was important. Now I do...

Back