Replacing 6.5g primary bucket seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol

Reaction score
I brewed a Scottish Red Ale on Xmas Eve and have it sitting happily at 68* in my 6.5g primary. I'm not concerned about fermentation, I can see a good 2-3" thick layer of krausen through the bucket, but oddly, I've gotten absolutely 0 airlock activity with this beer. I'm assuming that means I've got a leak somewhere that's allowing CO2 to escape. My question is, assuming the leak is in the o-ring on the inside of the bucket lid how often should I expect to be replacing those? I'm not concerned about O2 getting in as I think it would probably require a vacuum to pull O2 in, but I'm surprised that this is only the 3rd batch I've made in this primary and I've already apparently got a leak.

I think I'll RDWHAHB now. :D

Actually, its not a bad thing: the reduced head pressure on fermentation is quite good for your yeast.

You'll have positive pressure once fermentation gets going, then a CO2 blanket afterwards to keep O2 out of the brew.

Actually, its not a bad thing: the reduced head pressure on fermentation is quite good for your yeast.

You'll have positive pressure once fermentation gets going, then a CO2 blanket afterwards to keep O2 out of the brew.

Exactly!

It doesn't really matter whether or not you get airlock action. Your beer will ferment whether or not the airclock bubbles or co2 gets out elsewhere. Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2.

And if co2 is getting out, then nothing is getting in.

I have 9 different fermenters, buckets, carboys, water bottles, and only get an airlock blip on about 50% of the beers, but I get 100% fermentation.

These days, many folks just cover their fermenter buckets with a piece of plexiglass letting the co2 push out between where the plexiglass and the bucket meet. Others cover their carboy mouth with tinfoil. Totally ignoring the need for either an airlock OR a bucket cover.

A lot of folks, especially folks with arthritis, barely even put the lid on tight at all, they just lay it on top. again, if co2 is getting out, NOTHING nasty can get in. And that really is all that matters.

An airlock is just a vent to release excess co2, so as long as you have some way to let the co2 get out without letting oxygen in, any method works.

The common and easiest way is with an airlock, but many folks put too much emphasis on whether or not their airlock bubbles, they think that if it's not bubbling something may be wrong, when in truth it's just a matter of need. If there is so much co2 building up that it needs to vent, it will. If it gets out some other way, beer will still ferment just fine.

So really, you don't need to worry about your lids. Just Brew and relax, they didn't even have bubbling airlocks, or lids back when Ninkasi walked the earth. :D

You proved totally that fermentation happens regardless of if an airlock bubbles.

A new lid would probably cost less than $2. I would just buy a new lid if that really is the problem.

Back