kegerator - taps on door or side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsojos

Reaction score
I have all the stuff to convert a top freezer refrigerator I bought on Craigslist to a kegerator, but I can't decide whether to put the taps on the front of the door or the side of the fridge. Any opinions?

I wonder if I put them on the door if they will get in the way. It will be a 2 tap system to start with but I'm quite certain I will probably add more in the future.

I personally would put the tube through the top and then put the tap on a tube, the side is thick and insulated and the door is also thick and will get in the way. It's your choice but personally I think the through the top looks pretty dapper.

I've done it both ways (on 2 different fridges). I much prefer them on the side. On the front the tubes get tangled and in the way when you open/close the door. On the side does not effect the door action. And then you can store bottled beer in the door shelves and in the other areas of the fridge.

I also recommend using a bucket to catch the drips. This is easier on the side then in front of the door.

Mine are on the side, and they are fine there - the deciding factor for me was that I was able to mount them a few inches higher than I would have had I went with the door (as I still wanted to be able to use the freezer).

Some people have concerns about refrigerant lines in the side walls and choose to use the door to completely eliminate that concern.

I was afraid to hit refrigerant lines so I went through the door and it works fine. I am still able to use most the shelves in the door but the lines do get mixed up opening and closing the fridge.

drill a tiny pilot hole and probe around with a wire to look for lines. Then drill the proper hole for the shank

I went trough the door and I am happy with the results. My only complaint is I have to use smaller tap handles so that I can get in the freezer w/o accidentally opening the taps. Actually, even closing the door too quickly caused the heavier, ceramic tap to open.

I'm plenty happy with through the door. My only complaint (though it doesn't bother me at all) is that if I decide to use longer tap handles, I have to attach the freezer door to the fridge door to prevent opening all of my taps if I only open the freezer.
I have no problem whatsoever with hoses tangling, etc. with my setup.

kegorator1.jpg

kegorator2.jpg

An additional concern through the side is that you will have to commit two surfaces of the refrigerator. You will always need access to the door but then will also need clear access to the side with the taps. If you can accommodate the space then the side would be fine (other than the gas lines in the wall of the fridge). I understand the concern of positioning the spigot too high and interfering with the freezer door but that just takes a little preplanning. Unless you put the tap on the floor, height is not that great of an issue. It really doesn’t have to be chest high (I use chairs with wheels in the garage and now the spigot is eye level. One thing that hasn’t been addressed is where to position the CO2 tank. My understanding is that you will go through more CO2 if it is chilled (kept in the fridge). I did drill an access hole through the side for that but I don’t have to access the tank more than once every 8 months (20 lb tank).

Yeah, I had my tank inside briefly in the beginning. My tank always registered as having far less pressure in it than it would at room temp.
I have it on the outside now.

I put them on the side. No issues drilling through. I have plenty of room so access was not an issue. Next step, getting co2 on the outside.

100MEDIA_IMAG0074.jpg

Back