Got a free IC. What should I do with it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben25

Reaction score
Well I was at my second homebrew club meeting last night, and one of the guys there gave me a 25' Immersion Chiller.

Now normally I would use it as it was intended to be used, but I already have a counterflow chiller.

Should I use it as a prechiller for the counterflow chiller? Should I use the counterflow chiller first, and then put the IC in my fermentation bucket with ice water pumping through it? My next beer is going to be a lager, so I want to get the wort as cold as possible.

Any ideas?

I'd say using it as a pre-chiller would be your best bet. Either that, or sell it and try to make some money for other brew equipment you need. Your choice.

Well I was the only one in the club who expressed a remote interest for it, therefore I got it... I think I'll try using it as a prechiller and see how it goes.

Clearly, I need to meet more local brewers.

I just spent $80 at my LHBS for my IC, it did great!, down to 80 in >10 mins.

But free is a heck of a lot better :D. This is an expensive hobby thats for sure.

HERMS... or use it as an IC. More cooling is never a bad thing. If you don't care to use it as an IC or HERMS coil, then I would find a brewer in need and pump some Karma points.

Back