non-sulfited wine and apfelwein aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWHooper

Reaction score
OK, so I have Welch's grape, EdWort's apfelwein, and cherry wine all in secondary and clearing up nicely. They all taste great at this point, considering how early it is (about three weeks).

Since I am making this stuff for my sulfite sensitive wife, I haven't used any campden tablets.

Yesterday, I bought a second refrigerator, so my question to the experienced members here is: should I refrigerate my non-preserved wines? Is it necessary? And if so, when exactly should I refrigerate?

They should be ok for a few months, either in the bottle or a carboy, since all wines have naturally occurring sulfites anyway. After about 6-8 months you might want to refrigerate them. I'm not saying they wouldn't be good for several more months but if you aren't adding additional sulfites, why take the chance if you have space in the fridge?

Back