Just started a boil, need some advice asap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd stick with what the kit calls for. The safeale US-05 is an american ale yeast.

The kit recommends wyeast rogue pacman. Does this matter? Or us US-05 the same thing?
The Pacman is a better yeast for this beer, but only if you have the time and resources to make a two liter starter or are willing to use two packs of yeast.

Otherwise the 05 is also a clean yeast that will give you good results in an IPA.

I don't think I have the time to make a starter at this point. I need to pitch asap. 2 packs of 05 should do the trick?

I don't think I have the time to make a starter at this point. I need to pitch asap. 2 packs of 05 should do the trick?
Two packs would be for liquid yeast (the Pacman.)

If using dry (US-05) in a 1.060 beer, one 11.5g pack (rehydrated) will be enough.

note: Mr Malty says 1.1 packs of dry or 2.3 packs of fresh liquid yeast

The Pacman is a better yeast for this beer, but only if you have the time and resources to make a two liter starter or are willing to use two packs of yeast.

Use the Pacman 1 smackpack. You do not need a starter. I have done this exact kit and it came out just fine pitching the one pack for a 5 gallon batch. The KEY for this yeast is temp control. It is on the cooler side.

You are going to love this beer.

Ok all pitched and sealed. I boiled 1 cup water, waited for it to cool down to about 92 F, added yeast packet, covered with foil and waited 15 minutes. Next gave it a little mix, aerated my wort again and dumped in the yeast mixture. Sealed the bucket and put the air lock on.

House temp is 69F
Wort temp was 74F
OG is 1.05

Everything good? I gave the "beer" VERY SLIGHT mix before i sealed it.

Sounds fine. Insulate the bucket if you can and keep it in a place that maintains a fairly steady temperature around 70* give or take. Leave it alone for 2-3 weeks minimum, let the yeast clean up byproducts of alcohol conversion, etc.

There appears to be a good 2" of sediment on the bottom of the bucket. Is this at all concerning?

Sounds fine. Insulate the bucket if you can and keep it in a place that maintains a fairly steady temperature around 70* give or take.

Just my opinion but I like to keep the chico strains more mid to low 60's. You went with US-05, right? I used to have some diacetyl problems fermenting close to 70 (even though the companies report the temp range up to about 73).

chickypad said:
Just my opinion but I like to keep the chico strains more mid to low 60's. You went with US-05, right? I used to have some diacetyl problems fermenting close to 70 (even though the companies report the temp range up to about 73).

I disagree on the insulating. The fermenting wort will generate it's own heat above the outer ambient temp. Room temp less than 70 is good.

I used 70° because its likely to be close to that and no need to worry if it is. Below is a bit better in some cases

Even better. Try to keep the fermenter at a stable temp. I wrap blanket or towel over it

I wasn't going to do a second fermenter. Is it necessary because I have so much sediment? How else can i filter it out? Or will it eventually settle like the yeast cake does?

It should all settle out into a nice compact layer if you leave it in the primary for 3 wks or so. Just FYI - ambient temp of 65-68 could mean fermenting temp over 70. I would get a stick on thermometer for the fermenter. When I said mid to low 60's I meant beer temp.
Again, just my opinion but you will find a lot of other folks on here also like to ferment their ales lower to get clean flavors.

Hmmm...maybe ill put it in the basement. No heat down there. It's a condo so there's just divided spaces. My basement is near the front of the unit so temps I would think are around 58

I feel like 58 is too low for ale yeasts. Don't worry. Sixties is fine

dandog2500 said:
I am taking all advice I can get, Hough77 do i rehydrate the US-05 Packs? Depending on the OG how will I know to use 1 or 2 packs? I read that a starting gravity of > 1.08 would like a starter.

I do, fermentation starts quicker when rehydrated, I've done it a few times now and it works. The quicker it starts the better off you are. 1 packet may be enough, why have them get tired and give off any bad flavors or aromas. If it was liquid, then definitely 2 packs or vials. I would make a starter from now on though, it will improve the end result. It's not hard to do, and you don't have to buy a bunch of extra stuff to do it. (unless you want to)

Quick update, the batch is fermenting quite nicely.

The air lock appears to have stopped bubbling. Its been about 5 days. Should i add the dry hops now? Maybe take a hydrometer reading?

Take hydro reading for 2-3 days. If stable, dry hop and wait another week to rack to bottling bucket/keg.

I'm wasn't going to do secondary fermenter, so after I dry hop should I leave it for another week and then bottle?

also the people at beer and wine makers in hartford are aholes. brew wine in east hartford. which is like 2 min from beer and wine are much cooler guys. very helpful

Cool thanks tre, captin I'm in sterling village right down the street haha. The beer and wine in east Hartford is closed for moving I think. They are re-opening the new location on March 1

OOh tre I have the option to dry hop by using the steeping bag OR just dumping the hops in loosly. Any preference?

I feel like 58 is too low for ale yeasts. Don't worry. Sixties is fine

I disagree. 58 is ambient temp. Fermentation will kick that up into the low 60's which is PERFECT. I would put it down there where it is 58 if I were you.

dandog2500 said:
OOh tre I have the option to dry hop by using the steeping bag OR just dumping the hops in loosly. Any preference?

Either, as long as you strain or rack very carefully when you go to bottle

Cool thanks tre, captin I'm in sterling village right down the street haha. The beer and wine in east Hartford is closed for moving I think. They are re-opening the new location on March 1

:off: Brew and wine is open while they move. I was in there the other day, go check them out!

dandog and nimo, we should get together one day and discuss some brewing / share a few.

i am currently brewing extract kits. i have 1 in bottles 1 about to be bottle this weekend and 4 more to be brewed in next few weeks.

My festa brew oatmeal stout has been bottled for 2 weeks Sunday. Can't wait to try it. This home brewing is addictive, I already want to make another.

Took the hydro reading. Its at 1.012, temp should be around 65. I gave it a good sniff and it burnt my nose inside...

edit: My Brewcraft USA instructions say the FG should be 1.013, im at 1.012 which i assume is fine. About that smell that burnt my nose, is that ok? I smelled it a a few seconds after i took the lid off

Latest posts

Back