brewing with grass seed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeSp

Reaction score
So this may sound a little strange, but my buddy has 10# of grass seed he wants to turn into beer...has anyone tried it? I am skeptical as hell, not enough sugar, how do you mill it (he actually wants to bring it to our LHBS!). he says he can malt it.
Is this crazy?

The guys on the Australian podcast craftbrewer radio did a great podcast on malting native grass seeds for an historical beer using all aboriginal ingredients. Unfortunately graham Sanders and company have pulled down ALL their decade worth of podcasts/radio shows and all their online information. So it is lost. But yes the did malt grass seen to mash in a beer.

The guys on the Australian podcast craftbrewer radio did a great podcast on malting native grass seeds for an historical beer using all aboriginal ingredients. Unfortunately graham Sanders and company have pulled down ALL their decade worth of podcasts/radio shows and all their online information. So it is lost. But yes the did malt grass seen to mash in a beer.
A Google search and this post is what caused me to join the forum! My son and I just started into the hobby and we are looking around the yard trying to determine what we can brew, ferment, etc. that will be totally self-renewing. So far we have the perpetual rhubarb crop, grass seed from the hill in the back yard, wild blackberries, mulberries, and anything we can plant in the garden.

Technically, annual rye is pretty much what we brew with now. I'm guessing anything with a larger kernel would register on a brix refractometer. Back when I was building golf courses we would "brix" grass plants frequently to give us carbohydrate levels to provide a better understanding of the soil so we could develop a better growing medium.
Unfortunately harvesting enough seed might be cost prohibitive. Good certified ryegrass seed is $2 a pound now and I bet annual is at least a $

Back