Homemade blueberry extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d32h9

Reaction score
I'm making my own blueberry extract for use in a blueberry ale.

I thawed 1Lb of frozen blueberries, and crushed them. I put them in a tupperware container, with about a half a cup of sugar and enough vodka to cover the berries after it was all mashed together.

How long do I need to let this sit before i can strain out the blueberries and use the extract?

Why not just boil half in the brew about 5 minutes and add the rest to the fermentor? I think it would need to sit in the vodka for months?

I've done a previous batch in which i put 5lbs of frozen crushed blueberries in the secondary fermenter. I got almost no blueberry flavor from this method. I believe all of the sugars from the blueberries were fermented and turned to alcohol. I'd like to add the extract right before bottling to possibly add some late flavoring that would get fermented out.

OK, I've never used blueberries, I f I wanted to use them at bottling, I'd probably just press the juice at that time and add it, but that's me.

Depending on sugar content, I would skip the priming sugar and use the juice to prime with, a lb of berries won't make too much sugar I'd wager (probably not enough for proper carbonation). If I wanted more blueberry flavor, I'd probably chill the fermentor, add more than a lb of juice to the fermentor along with some pot meta and wait for clearing, then bottle.

ok , what you are trying to make is a blueberry liquor ,, quarter the berries ,, FRESH ,, fill the intended jar to 3 quarters full , then 1 to 2 cups of sugar so the alcohol does not rape the berries of the taste for the sugar ,,, then add your referred alcohol to the top , i used a goood vodka ,,, let sit in the open and toss , mix , turn over and let sit on lid ,, when setteling happens is when you should change the position ,, for 6 MONTHS ! then at a minimum another 6 MONTHS in the DARK ,, ive done a year in the dark ,, then decant + using cheesecloth in a funnel strainer with a stir stick ,, repeated several times untill clear as desierd = there will allwayse be settelment unless you have a extremely gooooood filtration ,, it will taste like COOLAID and a sipping liquor ,, WARNING !!! 2 shots can make a seasoned alcoholic tipsy and GOOD ! ,,, do this with anything that can be extracted and use your imagination ,, ive done a 2 yr “MoochO MachO MangO” = MO MO MO that was AWSOME !

Back