Decisions...decisions....hazelnut porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seriousbeef

Reaction score
I've fiiiinally got myself a basic extract recipe for my first porter. Just wanted to run it through with you guys, I have my doubts with the balance though, could really do with your input.

6 gal batch
7.4 gal pre-boil

6.3%
OG 1.067
FG 1.019
30 IBU

8.8lbs Amber DME (seems like a LOT)
1.1lb chocolate malt
1.1lb crystal 70L

0.7oz Magnum @ 60min (chose it for clean bitterness to allow other flavors through)

I really don't know what other hop additions would be good. I have about .5lb challenger from my last brew...I guess the IBU's should be up to 45-55 to balance out the sweetness...

50ml hazelnut oil on bottling
8 oz cocoa powder in the last 5 mins of the boil (sound right?)

US-05 - clean yeast...any better?
Head retention stuff - I hear the hazelnut oil could affect natural head retention....

I was thinking of getting a little cinnamon and/or vanilla extract in there for a nice spicy / sweet back aroma, maybe a tsp on flame out. Undecided.

Any tips thoroughly appreciated!

Hazelnut extract is strong stuff. 1 to 3 teaspoons is really all you need (1 teaspoons = 5 mL) for a 5 gallon (19L) batch.

It's best to add at bottling. I usually do 1.5 teaspoons.

Hazelnut extract is strong stuff. 1 to 3 teaspoons is really all you need (1 teaspoons = 5 mL) for a 5 gallon (19L) batch.

It's best to add at bottling. I usually do 1.5 teaspoons.

+1 on the hazelnut being strong. I had to choke down a batch of something similar due to too much hazelnut. It was rough.

I was going along with you fine until I got to the hazelnut, vanilla and cinnamon. I really don't like spiced beers.

Use hazelnut extract, not oil.

Your OG is going to more than 1.067 with those ingredients.

Back