Question on bines growth and early cones...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luppolo

Reaction score
Hello there,
question to any of you hops grower.

I have a couple of bines of centennial and Mt hood...they are 2 and 3 years old.
This is first year i really tried put some effort in trying to get some production out of them.
The bines of the Centennial is about 10-12 ft heigh now (still pushing) with no sidearms and very few big cones and the Hood mybe 8-9ft but with sidearms and lots of tiny cones.

My question is why the bigger (more foliage) and taller has not developed sidearms from were the cones are supposed to grow, do different variety of hop develop differently? shoud I expect some more coming out of the centennial? Also isn't it too early to see cones?

From What I've been told and read usually the end of june should be the end of the 'Vegetative stage' so the bines stop their vertical grow and start shooting sidearms and cones; but i live in Central VA, and has been a very wet spring, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Final note lower foliage of both varieties have some yellow spots which makes me suspicius of powdery midew...

Hope I didn't bored you with this long post...

Anyway any thoughs or comments are appreciated!

Happy growing everyone!!!

My plants are also starting to burr and/or throw sidearms already. This is definately the earliest for this activity around here. It has been a pretty exceptional season thus far, so maybe we'll be looking at a couple of harvests.

I have centennials that look like yours. I'm interested in seeing some responses to this thread.

The only constant I've seen in hops is variation. My Perle this year is a good example. Of the three bines (one plant), one is almost 12' tall, no sidearms; one is 5' tall and has 3' sidearms; one is 6' tall, no sidearms. My Nugget is leading the pack, but last year it barely made it to the top of the trellis. None of the 9 varieties in my yard have set cones and I don't expect anything until August.

Hello there,
question to any of you hops grower.

I have a couple of bines of centennial and Mt hood...they are 2 and 3 years old.
This is first year i really tried put some effort in trying to get some production out of them.
The bines of the Centennial is about 10-12 ft heigh now (still pushing) with no sidearms and very few big cones and the Hood mybe 8-9ft but with sidearms and lots of tiny cones.

My question is why the bigger (more foliage) and taller has not developed sidearms from were the cones are supposed to grow, do different variety of hop develop differently? shoud I expect some more coming out of the centennial? Also isn't it too early to see cones?

From What I've been told and read usually the end of june should be the end of the 'Vegetative stage' so the bines stop their vertical grow and start shooting sidearms and cones; but i live in Central VA, and has been a very wet spring, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Final note lower foliage of both varieties have some yellow spots which makes me suspicius of powdery midew...

Hope I didn't bored you with this long post...

Anyway any thoughs or comments are appreciated!

Happy growing everyone!!!
I am in Central NC and I just harvested my hops yesterday, they really took off in early march, topped out and over the 17.5' trellis several weeks ago, these are second year plants, some of mine have the yellowing of the lower leaves as well, but if ot is something that will hurt them, please dont tell my hops, they are thriving, good luck.

I'm curious too. I have first year cascade. One bine is about 17 feet tall and starting about half way up, each leaf segment has six tiny cones about pea sized. Will these grow into normal sized cones or stay too small because it is a first year? This one is starting to grow some side sprouts now too. My other rhizome didn't fare too well and it is about six feet tall. For some reason, one took off like crazy and the other didn't.

Cone location between my fuggles and EKG are massively different. My fuggles (Low yield) Have two cones at each leaf. My EKG (medium yield) has clusters of cones all over the place. It seems to me that different varieties also grow very differently! :cross:

Cone location between my fuggles and EKG are massively different. My fuggles (Low yield) Have two cones at each leaf. My EKG (medium yield) has clusters of cones all over the place. It seems to me that different varieties also grow very differently! :cross:

I'm in the same boat as LGI here... My nugget look like some sort of alien with massive growth and tons of side arms, two cone clusters at each leaf of the side arm (not developed yet)... my cascade and EKG have moderate growth with pretty good (not great) side arm growth, and my fuggles have almost no side arms at this point.

Here's the nuggets
nugget0030.jpg

here's the fuggles
fuggles0030.jpg

Someone was speaking about the growth of side arms starting when the top of the bine "flops" over after running out of vertical growth potential (top of the trellace)... I've got another 3 feet to go before they reach the top (16 feet)... Another person commented on spurring side arm growth by topping (trimming the top) of the bine.

I have no idea of whether or not this is a proven method, but I'd love to hear if anyone else is doing this and their success (or lack of).

Well,
from you guys post It seems evident (to me at least) that different hops varieties develop differently from one another... and warmer climates seem to accellerate the developement of the bines, which was kind of predictible...I sure cant wait to see how this year will go for my centennial.
Anyway I really appreciate all your responses and wish everyone an awesome production this year!!

I'm in the same boat as LGI here... My nugget look like some sort of alien with massive growth and tons of side arms, two cone clusters at each leaf of the side arm (not developed yet)... my cascade and EKG have moderate growth with pretty good (not great) side arm growth, and my fuggles have almost no side arms at this point.

Here's the nuggets
nugget0030.jpg

here's the fuggles
fuggles0030.jpg

Someone was speaking about the growth of side arms starting when the top of the bine "flops" over after running out of vertical growth potential (top of the trellace)... I've got another 3 feet to go before they reach the top (16 feet)... Another person commented on spurring side arm growth by topping (trimming the top) of the bine.

I have no idea of whether or not this is a proven method, but I'd love to hear if anyone else is doing this and their success (or lack of).

Don't top them...

Latest posts

Back