American Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adambb

Reaction score
Hello fellow beer lovers,

This is my first post in this forum and I wanted to post an amazing recipe I just brewed. It is a nice malty Amber Ale with hoppy flavors and the recipe is fairly simple. I hope you enjoy the simplicity of this recipe and the taste of fresh hops. This can also be considered and hybrid between American Pale Ale and English Pale Ale and mix the best of both worlds.

Ingredients :

4.44 kg - Pale malt (2 Row) US (2 SRM)
0.48 kg - Crystal Malt 80L
0.30 kg - Cara-Pils (2 SRM)
28 g - Cascade (Boil 85 min)
28 g - Cascade (Boil 10 min)
28 g - Cascade (Boil 5 min)
21 g - Galaxy (Boil 5 min)
43 g - Galaxy (Dry Hop 3 days)
1 tbs - Irish Moss (Boil 10 min)
1 pkg - London ESB Ale (Wyeast 1968)

Since you want a medium body beer you need to mash for 60 minutes between 65-66 C.

My suggestion would be to use 14 L of water for your mash, mash out with 6.5L of boiling water. The temperature of your mash should now be around 75 C. Then fly sparge with 13L of water at 75-77 C.

If everything went right you should obtain 28.5 L of wort at 1.044 SG. Boil for 90 minutes and add your hops at 85, 10 and 5 minutes and don't forget the irish moss at 10 minutes.

Now start your whirlpool in your boiling tank and wait 5-10 minutes for the trub to settle. Now cool down your wort (I prefer counterflow chillers compared to immersion chillers since your wort skip the 'warm' temperature faster.

Pitch one activated package of wyeast london ESB ale which is particulary fruity and tasty then store it in a cool (around 20 C) locker.

The usual fermentation time is around 6 days in a first fermentation bucket then transfer to a glass (or plastic) carboy fermentor for 10 days and dry hop in the last 3 days in the second fermentor.

When you transfer the beer in the second fermentor, don't pick up the bottom layer which is mostly proteins, dead and floculated yeast and other undesirable stuff than can alter the clarity of your beer. However you can use this and wash the yeast to salvage and store your precious wyeast London ESB Ale !

Finally after fermentation is over, you transfer the beer into another bucket. This will be useful to add your priming sugar first into that bucket and it will also help to get a nice clear beer. Bottle or Keg this beer for 2 weeks ( It should be very good and ready to drink even after 10 days and the hop aroma will only be more fresh and present ).

Drink and enjoy !!

PS : Please leave a comment if you ever brewed something similar (which I suppose is pretty common) or plan to brew it or even ask question about some alternative techniques you might use or if you have suggestions or thoughts about that recipe !

PS2 : I would also be very interested about how you used the nice galaxy hops to get the best results !

CHEERS ! :mug:

Quebec city

Back