New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleddintrash

Reaction score
So I've done all my batches bottle conditioning my beer. Was always satisfied with the results, but I've moved on. I have a black IPA fermenting as we speak and it will be the first kegged batch. My question is this, (no need to poke fun!). Do I carb the beer for a couple of days, say 2.5 psi, and then leave it? Do I need to have a dispensing pressure once the beer is carbed up, or will the pressure from carbing the beer suffice for dispensing the beer?

I too am kegging for the first time. Just got it in the keg other day. From everything I have read and talked to people about, it works best to turn your p.s.i. up to 30 lbs or so far a few days. After that back it off to 8 to 10 lbs for serving. Hope this helps.

I too am new to kegging. I'd recommend going through some of the articles in the kegging FAQ sticky (near the top of the bottling/kegging forum). I think you might be confusing volume of CO2 in your beer with the psi of the CO2 tank, not the same thing.

There are several methods to carbonate with CO2, you can set it and forget, high pressure carb it, or do the shaking method.

Set and Forget it: Determine the required pressure for a desired level of carbonation (volume of CO2). This can be calculated using a table like the one here, http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Kegging.pdf. Set your regulator to this pressure and leave the keg connected for about 2 weeks. This method is reliable and I've heard people say they like their beer's flavor slightly better when using this method (I've not kegged enough of my beer to have developed this opinion yet). It does take patience.

High Pressure Carbonating: Described by the other poster, this involveds setting the psi to about 30 for 2-3 days then adjusting your regulator down to the derired serving temp. It works fine, but may results in overcarbonated beer if left on high pressure for too long (would need to vent the keg to relieve the pressure).

Shake Method or Burst Carbonation: Shake the keg by rocking it back and forth on its side while its hooked up. This method can carbonate your beer in 20-30 minutes. Demonstration here, _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtvdW7NRso.

I hope this helps. Definitely double check for leaks so you don't drain your CO2 tank.

Attach the CO2 and turn to 20 psi assuming the room is 65-70 degrees. If warmer then you'll need more psi. If colder, less. If you overdo the carb pressure (30 is too much) you will get a lot of foam when you're ready to drink it.

Let it sit for 2-3 days and then reduce the pressure to 8 psi for dispensing.

Note: Do NOT use the relief valve to let any air out. This wastes a lot of CO2, more than you realize. I used to bleed every batch and my 5lb tank would last for 10 batches. Now I do not use the bleeder and the 5lb CO2 seems to last 30 batches, more than a year.

I have only force carbonated one time (30 psi rolling method) because I needed it fast. It's not my preferred method, and this is what I usually do:

My setup is a full sized GE refrigerator with 4 taps and 4 keg capacity

1. With one CO2 system: Keg beer, put in fridge to chill to serving temperature, hook up CO2 line (set to 10 psi for my system), and wait 5-7 days (or more)

2. External (additional) CO2 system: Keg beer, if not ready for consumption, hook up to secondary CO2 system in basement and let carbonate at room temp for 7-10 days. Take off CO2 and let sit until put in fridge.

* You will need a steady supply of pressure (CO2) to consume the beer out of the keg. Otherwise the built up pressure in the keg will diminish after pouring 1 or several beers.

Note: Do NOT use the relief valve to let any air out. This wastes a lot of CO2, more than you realize. I used to bleed every batch and my 5lb tank would last for 10 batches. Now I do not use the bleeder and the 5lb CO2 seems to last 30 batches, more than a year.

How do you bring the pressure down from 20psi after the 2-3 days is done without using the release valve?

Aboo said:
How do you bring the pressure down from 20psi after the 2-3 days is done without using the release valve?

That idea of not using the relief valve makes no sense to me. I don't see the logic behind it. Pull the valve, set to serving pressure, drink away.

Back