Hop Help? Contemplating bulk hop order.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jholen

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'd love some help trying to decide a bulk hop order.

Currently I have about 1/2 lbs left of EKG pellet hops which I've been using for primarily english beers.

Nikobrew's $10/lbs sale seems pretty good so thinking of picking up some other hops to brew some more american style beers.

The five on sale are, Apollo, CTZ, Nugget, Summit and Willamette.

I know hops are personal preference, but if you had to order 3 or 4 of the above which would you go with?

I was learning towards, Apollo, CTZ, Willamette.

Thoughts?

+1 on your list, I would probably do the same. Willamette is good for a finishing hop for American style ales and with a low AA% you could brew some more mild American styles using it as a bittering hop. I like a Apollo a lot because I LOVE centennial/amarillo.

I would wait until late fall to order any bulk hops. If you order now, you will most likely get the 2011 crop.

I'd do Nugget, Summit, and Willamette. Nugget because they're a very clean bittering hop like Magnum. Summit because they are GREAT IPA hops with potent bittering qualities and incredible aroma. Willamette because they can go in just about anything and be right at home.

Back