Where can I get just an Oxygen Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I bought the whole Oxygen kit, then lost the darn stone after one brew. I went to find it today and couldn't only the one for my little aquarium pump, which of course I lost the pump for. Needless to say after clean up, everything got put in one place and reorganized, as this is an ongoing problem with lost items. Anyway, where can I just get a stone for the Oxygen injection system? The only ones I see are for aquarium pumps.

aquarium stones are around 2 microns...is there an advantage to having a 0.5 micron stone? Smaller holes-->smaller bubbles-->more solubility? I would guess that the difference is probably negligible and the price difference is because of the market not the product. Do you guys know?
-Jefe-

I don't see why an aquarium stone wouldn't work. Aquarium stones are used to inject CO2, so it should be good in an acid environment. The cynic in me assumes the beer guys are just reselling aquarium stones at higher prices.

aquarium stones are around 2 microns...is there an advantage to having a 0.5 micron stone? Smaller holes-->smaller bubbles-->more solubility? I would guess that the difference is probably negligible and the price difference is because of the market not the product. Do you guys know?
-Jefe-

difference is not negligible. a .5 micron stone will barely ripple the surface when injecting O2 slowly, a 2 micron stone will bubble the surface. those bubbles are pure oxygen not dissolving into solution.

gas dissolves faster when the bubbles are smaller/less mass, because the same amount of O2 has more surface area exposed ot the liquid as smaller bubbles than larger.

a 2 micron stone will bubble the surface. those bubbles are pure oxygen not dissolving into solution.
That really depends on how fast you inject the O2.
That happened to me when I started using it, and my O2 bottle lasted about
3 brews. Then I learned to throttle it back some. A bottle now lasts me about 20 brews. I can see the bubbles coming out of the stone, but very few rise to the surface, and a 90 second dribble (as opposed to a blast) works great.

-a.

Does anyone know if a a standard aquarium pump be able to push air through a .5 micron diffusion stone? The Austin Home Brew site says the following, "The holes in the stone are too fine to use it to aerate the wort with an aeration pump",

also, on the 2 micron stone, it says, "The air pump needs to be a deep-water model to be able to push through the 2 micron filter"

Anyone have any experience with this?

Back