Wit that smells like poo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
I've brewed at least 50 batches without any contamination including a couple wits. However my latest Wit has a hint of poo. Anyone else have this in any of their beers? I drank about a liter of it tonight and I'm still alive. The color, and clarity and flavor is still OK. Just the smell is wierd, kind of like poo.

Any thoughts?

I really have no idea why it would smell like poo. One time I had a really bad pear smell coming from a carboy, but it turns out it was just because of a bag of pears right next to it.

Thanks for the advise. It might be sulfur. The last wits I allowed to finish warm and then conditioned better. I just brewed this 2 weeks ago. Maybe it needs to "de-poo" by ageing a little.

I'm still going to drink it dammit. poo or no poo

Thanks for the advise. It might be sulfur. The last wits I allowed to finish warm and then conditioned better. I just brewed this 2 weeks ago. Maybe it needs to "de-poo" by ageing a little.

I'm still going to drink it dammit. poo or no poo
I just sampled my Apfelwein and it's slightly sulphuric too. It will go away. ;)

I have a wheat/rye spiced beer in my primary now that's finishing up fermentation. The first couple of days the entire room that my brew closet is in stunk like rotten eggs and stink bombs. I used Wyeast american wheat 1010. It died down but I can still smell it a little bit in the blow off. I'm pretty sure it's just a yeast byproduct and will go away but is it something that needs to sit in the carboy longer or will the smell fade while its in the bottle?

I recently brewed a wit with WLP400, and it had a touch of eau de outhouse while fermenting. After a month or so in the keg, poopy odor is gone, and wit's pretty good.

I have it in a KEG now in the refrigeratr. Do you think the poo smell will go away faster if I take the KEG out?

Thanks for the advise everyone.

I really have no idea why it would smell like poo. One time I had a really bad pear smell coming from a carboy, but it turns out it was just because of a bag of pears right next to it.

That is by a long shot the funniest comment I've seen on the forum. I actually laughed out loud.

The poo smell is probably some kind of sulphur I figure, which should go away- right? I remember one time I had a Real Ale at a pub in SE England and I remember I sent it back at first and complained about the smell. The bartender said it was normal b/c they just tapped it. He offered to take it back but I drank it anyway, and it was tasty- aside from the smell.

Back