Stone 10th Anniversary Ruination: Yuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottle I tried was all hot booze and bitterness and no good hop flavor. Not in prime condition to say the least. A huge disappointment for sure, but I'm not going to blame stone for improper handling/storage.

OldWorld said:
Port Brewing has given me nothing but lackluster brews. This Stone 10th Ruination was pretty darn lackluster. I think there are many people who like "hop tea" and booze.

It's quite possible that the freshest bottles of the beer were better tasting.

You obviously don't have the pallet for IPAs, which is fine, just stop drinking them.

I wish I could get my hands on some. I was in the brewery when they were brewing it. I haven't found it.in Georgia. They told.me.at.the brewery it would be a geographically limited release.

I may just have to have one of my trading two, to check how they stored in the refrigerator, the last one I have came from somewhere, that I'm almost positive it sat at 85 degrees F or higher for a prolonged period of time, and the others I've had went immediately from the truck to the fridge.

For myself, Stone is a 'lowest common denominator' kind of brewery. Everything is ok, nothing is amazing. Haven't had a chance to try the 10th anniversary Ruination but I'd love to get my hands on some.

I like hops. I like stone. I like ruination. Now that that's out of the way I wasn't a fan of 10. I got a soapy and slight onion flavor from the hops. The rest of the beer was good. Bitterness was as expected and the alcohol was masked well, just didn't like the hop finish. Maybe I'm just getting spoiled by 3 floyds here.

For myself, Stone is a 'lowest common denominator' kind of brewery. Everything is ok, nothing is amazing. Haven't had a chance to try the 10th anniversary Ruination but I'd love to get my hands on some.

Stick to Moosehead, eh.

I just picked up another that is guaranteed refrigerated since delivery, if someone wants one.

Port Brewing has given me nothing but lackluster brews. This Stone 10th Ruination was pretty darn lackluster. I think there are many people who like "hop tea" and booze.

TROLL!

In the case you aren't a troll, but instead ignorant (we all are in some subjects), read on.

First, if you aren't a hophead, why are you commenting on this beer? Stone Ruination is an Imperial IPA(hophead) beer; the anniversary edition can be expected to be an ultra/maxi/uber/(insert superlative here) version of Ruination. There are, I believe, at least 125 different beer styles. Pick one you know something about or like!

Case in point - I HATE sweet malty beers, and I HATE clovey, banana yeast found in some belgium and wheat beers. I don't review those beer styles. Why not? They are beers I don't like! Because I am ignorant of what a good example of those beers should be, what benefit would me tasting and commenting on them have to those who do like that style?

But I do love IIPAs, so I can step in here.

An Imperial IPA is high in alcohol, typically low in malt, and high in hops. The alcohol is needed to support the high incidence of hops. You typically need to add a bit of sugar, keep low darker malt percentages, and mash at a low temperature with this style of beer if you really want to highlight the hops. The goal of this style is to highlight the complexity and variety of the hops and hop characteristics - bitterness, flavor, and aroma. To get all three, you MUST drink this beer young, preferably at the brewery. Otherwise, the bitterness component may be all you detect in the hops. It's all about the hops; it's not about the malt.

From the BJCP style guide:

"High to absurdly high hop bitterness"
"Bigger than either an English or American IPA in both alcohol strength and overall hop level (bittering and finish). Less malty, lower body, less rich and a greater overall hop intensity than an American Barleywine"
"A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products"
"A showcase for hops"
"A long, lingering bitterness is usually present in the aftertaste ..."
"A clean, smooth alcohol flavor is usually present"

And, like I said, the anniversary editions are, well, maxing out the style.

If you don't like those characteristics, move on..... there are many more styles out there. Take a look at the BJCP style guide and pick one that fits your palette. Comment on why you think it's good or bad - Aroma, Appearance, Mouthfeel, Flavor, and Overall Impression.

Then you may not get flamed. Instead you will have a real framework for discussing a beer's quality.

Or maybe you are just a troll, and I took the bait.....

Rich

I agree with the above post....if you don't like IPA's, don't review them! I don't like wheat beers so I don't review them. It's not the style I look for.

there is a very good reason for me why stone beers will never be bought or drank by me again.
In californian we no longer have a representitive government.Private organizations are welcomed if they pay enough ,into the rule making process.Stone contributes to the surfrider foindation in a big way and they help shut down over forty % of the best fishing spots along the coast of california with no science applied to the decisions helped along with stones contributions.
google MLPA and see what I mean.Sorry this is my first post it being somewhat political but it does have to do with what beer companies we should support when not brewing our own.

RichBenn said:
TROLL!

In the case you aren't a troll, but instead ignorant (we all are in some subjects), read on.

You mean you aren't familiar with OldWorld? Half of his (his profile says female but I don't believe that) threads are shut down. The other half are straight troll threads that never worked out for him.
Here was a good one.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/russian-river-brewing-sucks-330922/
The brewmaster of the brewery and a rep from Cargill actually got involved to speak up for themselves. A real home run in troll world.

Good God with the trolls,we get it the people calling them out think they are better or know better.It just makes themselves feel better,yeah im calling you out as well. Show me your wisdom you know better.

MangledMash said:
I wish I could get my hands on some. I was in the brewery when they were brewing it. I haven't found it.in Georgia. They told.me.at.the brewery it would be a geographically limited release.

I got it in N Atlanta a couple weeks ago.

I liked it... it's much better than the original Ruination. It has the amount of hops I typically use in my homebrewed IIPAs. The alcohol was hot at 10.8%, but no other brewery could've made that "taste" smoother. Stone did a good job with what they set out to do. I would have liked less alcohol here, but it's not my decision.

Damn. Basically my exact thoughts. Better than the original, glad I tasted it, but too much alcohol for me.

I liked it, but it was over-the-top. I kinda' expected that! I didn't get the alcohol heat, and I am pretty sensitive to it. My bottles had some amazing hop flavor.

To each his own... that's what's cool about having so many to choose from!

BTW, Port Brewing ROCKS! :)

jonmohno said:
Good God with the trolls,we get it the people calling them out think they are better or know better.It just makes themselves feel better,yeah im calling you out as well. Show me your wisdom you know better.

Wait...what?

jonmohno said:

You're in no position to call anyone out. Nobody knows what you're saying anyway.

OldWorld said:
My claims are not unfounded. Russian River uses GMO grain...Unless labeled USDA Organic there is no guarantee that genetic modification of a product has not happened. Corn sugar adjunct is most likely derived from GMO corn products.
Dude. You were told by a Cargill rep who supplies RR with their malt along with Vinnie himself that there are no GMOs in the beer. You were also wrong with all of your other accusations. And you were also a jerk about it.

You're acting like a fool, and you know nothing about good beer. I haven't heard you say one good thing about anything ever. The IPA was bitter? Waaa. If you don't like bitter then don't drink IPAs.

It was just too much for me to "enjoy" it was more like an experience I can cronical in my memoirs rather than just a casual happening

Things that happened I will never forget;

1 horrible car crash of 1990

2 Bunge jump off dingo pass

3 taint piercing dare

4 Ruination 10th anniversary

But then I am not a huge fan of the macabre or extreme

I like curvy woman, but I am not going to double down on some big ol fatty

I like spicy food, but I am not going to sit around eating ghost chili thinking about how hardcore I am.

When does a big titty cross the line from nice, to amazing, to wtf to, ohgod, gross! The same is true with hot stuff, at some point it’s just pain. Where is the line for IBUs, some folks nomatter the level will say it’s great it’s a point of macho pride, but for methis is just too much..This beer is like a fat chick covered in ghost chili sexsauce, just too damn much of a good thing.

However if I get back out to San Diego I would try it again in the dead ofwinter that may help.

Clayton said:
It was just too much for me to "enjoy" it was more like an experience I can cronical rather than just a casual happening

Things that happened I will never forget;

4 Ruination 10th anniversary

I like curvy woman

I sit thinking about how hardcore I am.

it’s great it’s a point of macho pride

I must find this beer! Tomorrow I will find this beer *RUINIATION*

Didnt get a chance to really drive around and pick the 10th Ann. up so i picked up the original. What a tasty beer cant wait to find the 10th Ann.

ForumRunner_20120726_004413.jpg

You're Not Worthy!!

Still drinking good. Picked up the last one at my local bottle shop today for $6.29
Nice & tipsy after just a few sips :drunk: but the best attribute is the flavor; though I would like less toasty crystal.

Very good, but I'm still yearning to smell this from 4 feet away like my Homebrewed IIPAs!!!

ruination10th.jpg

You're Not Worthy!!

Still drinking good. Picked up the last one at my local bottle shop today for $6.29
Nice & tipsy after just a few sips :drunk: but the best attribute is the flavor; though I would like less toasty crystal.

Very good, but I'm still yearning to smell this from 4 feet away like my Homebrewed IIPAs!!!
wow@! 12 bucks here.:( Certainly enjoying a well priced 2012 SN tumbler though. I have a thing to say about it(tumbler) though,i didnt like it last year like the year before but do like it more this year than last year.Its kinda pineyer than before and "brownisher". Just though id share. Pretty early for autum release but good intentions with the insane hot unseasonable weather dead -mid summer. Maybe the beginning of August should be autumn the way this year is going.

bobbrews said:

Yeah it would be awesome to just pull samples right off there bright tank.

Sold out in hour is what I was told. Well guess ill just wait tell 2022

Very good, but I'm still yearning to smell this from 4 feet away like my

I had it the week it came out. It had one of the biggest and best hop aromas I've ever smelled. I still have a few bottles left, and while it's still good, it's not what it was a month and a half ago.

I could definitely smell it when I had the beer in my mouth, but the aroma from the glass was not as potent as most of my homebrewed IIPAs. The hop flavor was certainly potent though.

I got a bottle of this today. Unless the OP had a mishandled bottle, he is nuts. As soon as I opened the bottle I was hit with a FANTASTIC hop aroma. After pouring into the glass I took my first sip. I was immediately hit with a great mix of resiny and citrusy hop notes. The malt character was definitely present, and balanced the beer nicely but the hops were still the star and stood way out front. This beer definitely finished bitter, but no NEARLY as bitter as I was expecting. I've had a number of beers that were waaaaaaaay more bitter than this one. Lastly, the alcohol is noticeable and warm, but this beer is not even remotely boozy. This is an absolutely fantastic DIPA. No complaints here. Especially because it only cost me $9.62 including tax. I know the manager of the store I bought it from too, and they definitely know how to handle beer.

Just had this myself. I noticed the alcohol in aroma and taste more as it was cold(not harsh though),which was gone upon warming.It was fruit(tangerine) pine forward hop with carmel sweetness,soft malty, with a quick piney bitter finish with lingering pine/grapefruit flavor. Slight salty. Some candy bubblegum as it warms which kinda reminded me of a ruination(duh) which i havent had it a while. Guess this was too cold when I was deciding it not one of my favorate doubles but its pretty close my top doubles for me. Yeah this was less good cold.Probably should be drank around 45-55? Kinda pricey. I was gonna skip it but the liquor store owner advised I get it because it just came in and was going quick-glad i tried it and got it while available. The aroma intensity didnt seem as intense as many ipa's or doubles ive had but it was a good strong obvious hop aroma nonetheless.

Back