Auto-siphon & better bottle - am I stupid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
I can't seem to get the beer over the "hump" of the racking cane in my auto-siphon from the better bottle to my bottling bucket. Anybody else have this problem and have suggestions for how to correct it? Argh!!!

Pumping is not working.

I noticed the siphoning hose is a little loose around the racking cane. Could that be the culprit?

Tilting it at about 30 degrees and pumping worked for some reason. What a PITA. I hate siphoning.

Make the "top" bucket/fermentor even higher. The greater the distance between the two the better the pressure on the siphon hose.

Okay, thanks. Again, oddly enough, I got this going by shortening the distance - I just bought new tubing, winged it on the length and it isn't especially long.

Siphoning is definitely my weakest link in good brewing practices.

I had this same problem when I siphoned for the 1st time. My problem was that I didnt have the bottling bucket much lower than the fermenter

and yes, the tubing needs to be snug on the siphon - you're essentially creating a long hose with the suction end higher than the dispensing end. A leak (loose tubing) in the middle of that is going to cause it to lose it's prime.

A lot of people use 3/8" tubing on the autosiphon, and it leaks air in, screwing up the siphon. The autosiphon takes 5/16" tubing. No air leaks!

A lot of people use 3/8" tubing on the autosiphon, and it leaks air in, screwing up the siphon. The autosiphon takes 5/16" tubing. No air leaks!

Ditto that! I tossed my auto after one use. Good old gravity suits me fine.

Not sure the size on my tubing but I have to stick the end of the tubing in hot water for a little bit to get it soft enough to slide onto the racking cane. No leaks and it's usually a two stroke deal to get it going.

FYI - there are two sizes of auto-siphon out there - 5/16" and 1/2" - get the right size tubing for a snug fit and you'll never regret that device!

Back