conversion .... help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanik006

Reaction score
i'm gonna be doing a clone brew soon, and my beersmith free trial has ended. can someone convert this to pounds for me? actually, can a few people do it if possible to make sure its correct?

Pale Malt 87%
Flaked Oats 6.5%
Light Candi Sugar Syrup 5.5% (added to boiling wort)
Blonde Candi Sugar Powder 1.0% (added to boiling wort)

it will be a 5 gallon brew.

i'm gonna be doing a clone brew soon, and my beersmith free trial has ended. can someone convert this to pounds for me? actually, can a few people do it if possible to make sure its correct?

Pale Malt 87%
Flaked Oats 6.5%
Light Candi Sugar Syrup 5.5% (added to boiling wort)
Blonde Candi Sugar Powder 1.0% (added to boiling wort)

it will be a 5 gallon brew.

I think we need a bit more information. What OG are you shooting for and what is your efficiency for starters?

It looks like you perfer the potent stuff, but I don't want to assume.

There's a really easy solution for a Beer Smith trial having expired :) It costs less than the hops for a typical IPA, not exactly unreasonable if you're serious about formulating your own recipes...

If you absolutely can't stretch to that, there are also free programs that will do these calculations. The calculator on http://beertools.com seems pretty good, for instance, and is free as long as you can live with a few restrictions on ingredient counts etc.

There's a really easy solution for a Beer Smith trial having expired :) It costs less than the hops for a typical IPA, not exactly unreasonable if you're serious about formulating your own recipes...

If you absolutely can't stretch to that, there are also free programs that will do these calculations. The calculator on http://beertools.com seems pretty good, for instance, and is free as long as you can live with a few restrictions on ingredient counts etc.

Actually, there is NO way to solve this problem as stated. We either need the total pounds of grain, or we need the efficiency and OG.

Yes, beersmith is great and well worth the $22, I have even seen it as the deal of the day at B3.

But if you want a free one, here is an online one:
Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator

sorry, here is what i left out ..

Starting Gravity 19.0°P (1.076 SG)
Terminal Gravity 1.9°P (1.008 SG)
target ABV 8.9%
IBU 65

0.13*x1-0.87*x2-0.87*x3-0.87*x4=0
-0.065*x1+0.935*x2-0.065*x3-0.065*x4=0
-0.055*x1-0.055*x2+0.945*x3-0.055*x4=0
.75*36*x1+0.75*37*x2+36*x3+46*x4=76

x1=2.384 lbs/gal
x2=0.178 lbs/gal
x3=0.151 lbs/gal
x4=0.027 lbs/gal

So, now multiply x1,x2,x3,x4 by however many gallons you want, and you'll get the amount in lbs. Notice I assumed efficiency at 75%. BTW, x1=pale malt, x2=flaked oats,...in the order you listed ingredients.

90% attenuation............ can I have some of your yeast?

well ... those numbers are from the recipe, i haven't actually tried it yet. its a Belgian golden ale yeast, and they say make a starter 2 days before ... so that prolly has something to do with it? I've never used a starter before ... so, and i've never finished below 1.015 gravity ... so we'll see what happens next month when i try this?

Back