frozen yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slakwhere

Reaction score
so my roomie put the pacman smack pack in the freezer with the hops when we unpacked from the LHBS. it was in there for 24 hours and is frozen solid. is it useless? or should i thaw it and pitch it?

next time smack your room mate when he tries to put a living organism in the freezer. the yeast might be ok but severally damaged. you are definitely going to have to make a starter to get any kind of usable yeast population out of the pack.

I say go for it, microbes are much more tolerant of cold then they are of heat, I work with fungi and I just successfully transferred a sample that had been frozen since 2002.

Great thing about a smack pack is that you know if its working with little work. Just smack it and let is sit for a while. If it swells up in a few hours, I would make a starter and go about business as usual.

So instead of starting a new thread I thought I would bump this one. It is 10 degrees outside and I just received confirmation that my Northern Brewers kits have arrived, including two Wyeast smack packs. I am at work and won't be able to get home for at least 3 hours, so I'm almost positive that they will be frozen solid.

Will they be alright? I will probably brew the first kit on Saturday, so should I make a yeast starter today so it is bulked up with healthy yeast by Saturday morning? Any helpful tips would be....helpful.

It'll be fine. I received a Wyeast 1056 that was frozen due to the weather. Just put it in the fridge, not freezer of course, till the day before brewing. The night before take it out and let it sit at room temp. Smack it several hours before brewing and it will inflate over that time. You can do a starter which would be best. I just pitched mine for my amber cause I didn't have a starter then and man was it active, bubbled the airlock like crazy.

Rev.

Awesome....thanks. I will probably put them in the fridge and just make a starter the night before like usual.

So instead of starting a new thread I thought I would bump this one. It is 10 degrees outside and I just received confirmation that my Northern Brewers kits have arrived, including two Wyeast smack packs. I am at work and won't be able to get home for at least 3 hours, so I'm almost positive that they will be frozen solid.

Will they be alright? I will probably brew the first kit on Saturday, so should I make a yeast starter today so it is bulked up with healthy yeast by Saturday morning? Any helpful tips would be....helpful.

Northern Brewer puts their yeast in padded envelopes and then in the middle of the shipping box, assuming you got some other items. Everything is well packed and I bet your little friends will be chilly, but fine.

Are you a C-Dale Dawg or a saluki breeder?

Personally... BS 1980, MS 1982, wish I could remember half the fun I had on S Illinois Avenue.

Graduated May, 2009 now living in Champaign. Just visited Carbondale last weekend to see them lose in the renovated arena and eat an entire Grand Champion platter at 17th St.

Graduated May, 2009 now living in Champaign. Just visited Carbondale last weekend to see them lose in the renovated arena and eat an entire Grand Champion platter at 17th St.

Im a newbee to homebrewing as well as the forum. I read you lived in Champaign, I just drove from southern Indiana about three hrs to purchase a kegerator and an all grain brewing kit froma a fellow there in champaign.

Latest posts

Back