Ordinary bitter +chocolate malt = mild?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
I have a keg of ordinary bitter ready to roll and ingredients ready for five more gallons.

I was thinking that a batch of mild might be nicer to have on tap. I was thinking of adding .5 lbs of chocolate malt to the bitter grist and bada bing, we have mild.

Sounds good, yeah? No? Stupid? What dya say?

The bitter recipe is from brewing classic styles. I think it's easily googled in case people want to see the grist.

The bottom end of acceptable IBUs for a bitter is the top end for a Mild, and it's kind of the same story for color. So with the chocolate adjusting for the color you could probably get away with it if you substantially lowered the bittering hops and completely removed the flavor/aroma hops.

Although modern Milds tend to be low ABV and low bittering, historically they were 50-70 IBUs.

But 4-8 oz of chocolate or amber malt would do the trick.

sure- I was only talking about the grist, not the hop schedule. I buy hops by the pound, so I need to calculate my additions for every beer I make, I usually hop to hit the middle of the style guide.

Back