What Makes Pinnconning Cheese Different From Any Other Colby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
There is a cheese named Pinconning from a town in Michigan of the same name that is excellent. It is classified as a colby, but seems more like cheddar. The sharp is excellent.

It started in Pinconning in 1915 by a Dan Horn, but it is only made by Williams and the Pinconning Cheese Company now, but was made by many cheese companies in the past.

It is described as an open cheese which allows it to age. This is different than Wisconsin Colby. What would this process be, or is this a special culture and how is it done at home?

Does anyone know this cheese and what they do to make it?

https://pinconning.securesites.com/PDFs/pinconning_mnf&hist.pdf

Not sure how it's made, but I sure do love it. My dad grew up just west of Pinconning and every time he took me up there we would stop at Wilson's Cheese Shop and get a big wedge of sharp and then run over to Purtell's for ice cream. It's great to slice up for a grilled cheese!

Yup, just did the ham and Wilson pinconning thing last night! Awesome.

Wife was in Pinconning (and Frankenmuth) for shopping with her friend, and begged her to remember to snag some cheese.

I am guessing this is another of the many questions I ask and no one has much of an answer.

It is posted at cheeseforum, too, but no replies. :(

Man, if someone there don't know, I'm SOL. ;)

Back