Another recipe critique please - Bourbon Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSmurf78

Reaction score
So I'd like to make a stout that can age for some time and has a bit of bourbon flavor while being a darker/malty brew for the cold winter nights.

Here's what I'm thinking...

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
43% 6 0 Dark Malt Extract Syrup 36 15
21% 3 0 Dark Dry Malt Extract 45 18
7% 1 0 Amber Dry Malt Extract 45 13
7% 1 0 Chocolate Malt 34 475
7% 1 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1
7% 1 0 Roasted Barley 29 550
4% 0 8 American Crystal 80L 33 80
4% 0 8 American Black Roast 26 127

Hops
time oz variety form aa
60 1.0 Magnum leaf 14.5
30 0.5 Magnum leaf 14.5
30 1.0 Fuggles leaf 5.1
10 0.5 Fuggles leaf 5.1

Wyeast British Ale (1098)

Along with that, I'm thinking of soaking an ouce of oak chips in my favorite bourbon (Basil Hayden or Bookers) for a couple weeks and then adding that to the secondary. I might also add some lactose to help provide body.

BTW, this is just for a 5 gallon batch. I probably would do a late addition with the malt extracts.

Does anything stand out as needing to be changed?

Thanks
Drew

More updates on this...

Beer looks like old old used motor oil. Overall, I got close to my goal of being like Oak agged Yeti by Great divide except for one small bit. I think I can say that I added too much black roast and/or roasted barley.

The initial taste the other weekend left me with a burnt aftertaste. I'm hoping that it'll mellow with time, so the rest of the stout has been sitting in boxes in the back of a cool room now. I don't expect to pull the next one for a few weeks at least.

If nothing else, I think this would make an awesome BBQ sauce. Reduce it with some tomato paste, some peppers, maybe a little honey and some brown sugar(might not need this though). I bet it would be good.

Back