I lost a hero

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
Jeff Blatnick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Blatnick passed away 10/24/12, and I just learned of it today. I'm at work, and can't keep my eyes dry.

I want to relay my story from the Olympic Wrestling trials in 2010. This is the email I wrote and sent to friends after getting back from watching the trials

"I took my white collared USA wrestling shirt hoping to get autographs. I got Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner’s, Olympic gold medalist Jeff Blatnick’s, Olympic gold medalist Cael Sanderson’s, and 2008 Olympic competitor’s (and I believe will be gold medalist) Ben Askren’s. Rulon and Blatnick both talked to me for a minute and were unbelievably humble and almost shocked I asked for their autographs.

[snip]

Jeff Blatnick was there as part of the 1980 team that didn’t go to the Olympics because of the boycott. The team did an autograph signing that day, but I missed it. At the end of the day We spotted him in crossing the lobby leaving. I said “Mr. Blatnick?” and he stopped and looked at me saying “Yes?” Looking at me like I was a bill collector. I asked for his autograph and he was so appreciative. He had to holler to his family to not leave without him. He signed my shirt and talked with us for a second. He even asked mine and Stacey’s name. I thought that was really cool of him"

I didn't know how much that encounter meant to me until I read of his death today. That memory is as vivid today as it was the day it happened!

Back