Kegging ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotusworker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Only 3 brews in to homebrewing, but looking for alternatives to bottling.

What are some low cost less equipment alternatives to bottling? Not looking to sacrifice quality of course, but not looking for top of the line. Any recommendations? I typically plan to brew 5 gallons a month.

Get a 2 keg setup with a dual regulator. If you really only plan to do 5 gal. a month, that should be plenty of keg depending on how fast you drink it. With the dual regulators you can have 2 kegs on with different carbonation volumes.

It's really just bottling, or kegging. Bottling is a little bit less expensive cost wise, especially if you get bottles from friends, neighbors, family etc. Kegs get up there since there's always more kegs to get, Co2 and then a way to keep it cool.

Lets say 5 gallons gets you 50 12 ounce bottles +/-. It would cost you about 30 in bottles (assuming no free ones) and caps. (maybe 25 or so 750ml champagne bottles?)

Lets say you keg it. 30-40 for the keg, 50 for a single regulator, 100 for a 5 pound tank some additional for hoses and connections. (Though most will have a full combination ket for about 150.) You then need a way to fill it with CO2, which costs depending on your area, lets say about 10 bucks.
Then you decide you need to get or build either a kegerator or keezer to keep the beer cold. With a new one that can be from 200-500, less if you get a free or cheap one off ebay/craigslist. (I'm using the estimate of a homedepot 5cf freezer for 168 and a temperature control device for about 75)
You then will want additional kegs to fill up the space since most will take 2-4 (or more) kegs. (another 80+ bucks). Then you get tired of picnic taps and you build a collar and because you have the collar you want to add faucets. That's another say 200 for 4 faucets (really rough estimate 16 for the faucets or 20 for perlick faucets, 14 for the shank, not to mention the tailpiece and tubing).

Keep any eye on craigslist. I got a fridge, faucet, CO2 tank and some keg connectors for $50.
My buddy had two cornies that he got for free when a restaurant closed and gave them to me.
If you're patient and lucky, you can get into kegging pretty cheaply.

Just picked up a 5cf freezer off craigslist for $30. Its maybe 4 yrs. old tops. I don't even really care if I can fit 3 or 4 cornies (pretty sure 4 is gonna be possible) for $30 the price was right. Be patient and when things pop up on craigslist/ebay jump on them, don't wait. Now begins the research/hunting for the rest of the equipment for my first "keezer" build.

Thanks for all the advice. I am guessing a way to keep them cold should be my first purchase. I am pretty crafty so modifying it will be easy.

Are corny kegs the best options if want. How much do those hold and how long does beer stay fresh in them?

Cornys are the best option for the homebrewer. They hold 5 gallons and the beer stays fresh (depending on the beer) for a year plus at least. I usually have 2 on draft in my 2 beer kegerator and at least one sitting in a keg in the closet. I have 5 kegs. 2 in the kegerator, 1 or 2 with beer aging and 1 with starsan solution to clean out the taps once in awhile. Kegs are cheap - like $25 or so for a rebuilt one. If you start, you'll want to start with at least 3 kegs.

I built my own kegerator using a new mini fridge and a kit from keg connection for around $550. Best $550 I ever spent! I h ooked the tap up to my bar recently and it looks very professional.

Latest posts

Back