Bag In Box picnic tap for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainWes

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just recently obtained a home carbonation setup (tank, regulator, ball joint carbonator cap) and I wanted to also make small batches of soda on demand. I'm wondering if it would be possible to rig a BIB to deliver syrup from a picnic tap and gravity feed the syrup (on top of the fridge or something)
Does this sound like something that could work? Are there any pre-built solutions for this kind of thing? Thanks in advance.

No, you really need a mixing valve to combine the soda & syrup, and the valve needs higher pressure than gravity will provide.

You could pre-mix your own--make some carbonated soda water, mix with syrup, and store in a pressurized container (a corny keg). You still would need an appropriate dispensing valve, but it's a simpler (& cheaper) valve.

I don't think he was asking about combining the soda and syrup. If I'm not mistaken, the question was whether you could tap the syrup bag and gravity feed the syrup into a glass for mixing.

The answer to that is yes.

You can use any sort of food-safe liquid dispenser to gravity feed soda syrup into a glass. They're available in all sorts of sizes and configurations. You can use anything--including a sun tea jar with the spigot to dispense. I prefer simple, cheap hand pumps (like these).

If you want to mix them together automatically without stirring in the glass, you'll need to deliver at least one of the liquids under pressure, which is what htroberts is talking about.

Thanks Matticus, this is precisely what I am trying to do. I have a source for 5 gallon BIBs and I am trying to rig up something to dispense from that BIB. However, if the syrup is shelf stable (or stable under refrigeration) I'm sure there is a way to transfer the syrup to those pump bottles (also a great idea, and thanks for the link!)

The syrup is shelf stable. You can get a hose adapter for the box valve itself if you have a high shelf that can handle the weight of the 5 gallon container. You just have to know which kind of valve it uses, and then you can hook up regular beer line and a picnic tap.

One source of the line adapters is CHI: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_82&products_id=443

The problem with this approach is that the BIB package is designed to be used with a pump, so eventually you'll have to transfer it to a bottle in order to get at the last 1/3 of the syrup once the level falls below the height of the valve (though you could store the box on-end with a guard rail to prevent tipping, allowing the valve to hang over the side of the shelf, which could get you most of the way around the problem).

What he says is true. Syrup out of a bag -might- work via gravity BUT using a soda pump powered by your CO2 makes life easy.
We have just about anything you would need.

Matt

Back