Bottle Conditioning and Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So here I am, I had my pale ale in primary for 4 weeks (and a few days). It's now been in the bottle for about a week. I know that 3 weeks is optimal, but wanted to ask if the flavor changes much in those remaining 2 weeks, or just more carbonation. I'd really like to pitch one in the fridge for a day just to try it. I'm very eager to see if it's any good :)

Sampling a bottle before it's ready (and your beer is not ready) for learning and curiosity purposes is just fine.

Drinking a beer in the hopes that you'll be tasting and enjoying a final product is a mistake many new homebrewers make (myself included).

3 weeks is minimal for any amount of carbonation...so be prepared for a flat beer.

6-8 weeks is optimal to begin getting to the "good beer" window.

Go head and chill a bottle for 48 hours and sample it.

Then forget about the rest of those beers for another 5-6 weeks.

Ya that's what I'm thinking. Just to taste it, knowing that it's not ready.

I've been trying through the whole process to not tough it, leave it alone, relax, etc.

I think I'll put a bottle in the fridge tonight then, and see how we go :D

The flavor will indeed change over the 3 weeks as the flavors meld and some of the harsher flavors mellow out. You'll find that all your beers will change slightly the longer they age, with some of the best ones being at the end of your stash.

It won't hurt ya to throw one or two in the fridge and try 'em out tomorrow evening or so - I'm always impatient like that too. Plus, it'll give you an idea of how the flavors change and meld over time. I like to try one or two a week until I like where they are at before consuming more regularly.

So, get to tasting! Just make sure you let the bulk of them age for atleast 3 weeks! If you have the willpower, pull out a sixer and try them at 2, 4, and 6 months (or longer!), just to see how long-term aging affects the brews!

Hah thanks again Revvy, I figured you'd have a post to answer this :)

I'll go read that one and commit it to memory ;)

Love this forum, all you fellas are great.

Back