Low hop flavor post-fermentation, pre-bottle - should I dry-hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowerMillHillBackyardBrew

Reaction score
Hi brewers! Two weeks ago I brewed a Amarillo/Pale Ale Malt SMaSH, first all-grain, hit OG as planned at 1.051 using BIAB, about 6,4 lbs (2,9 kg) of pale ale malt (11 liter batch), and the following hop additions (pellets):

15 g amarillo @ 60 mins
7 g amarillo @ 15
7 g amarillo @ 10
7 g amarillo @ 5
7 g amarillo @ 0

I poured the wort through a colander into the primary to get rid of some trub (not sure if this was wise or not).

Anyhow, today I took a gravity reading which was spot on 1.012, and I hope to bottle this soon since I have to move to a new apartment soon. Now for the question: The hydrometer sample tasted a lot more malty and a lot less hoppy than I'd hoped! Should I dry hop with some more Amarillo, or can I expect the hoppiness to come more forward after priming/conditioning/chilling? The hop flavor which is present is great, but the maltiness overpowers it, and I would like more hops up front, if you know what I mean :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Some people (myself included) use hop bags to keep the hops from primary, no problem there.

The hydro sample is always the perfect indicator, you are only conditioning by age, and carbing it up at that point.

It won't be the beer that the recipe had intended, but yes you can do what you want with dry hopping or tweaking of ingredients, makes it fun.

Brew On Brother!:mug:

If you want a hoppy beer, you need to use plenty of hops. 1.5 ozs is not a lot of hops.

I brewed yesterday (my version of Goose Island Harvest Ale) and used 6 ozs of hops. I have used up to a pound in a batch before.

Dry hopping will add more hop flavor. Add an ounce of pellets, leave for 2 weeks, then bottle.

Hehe, good point! :)

I guess the lesson here is

ND5OK.gif

right?
:mug:

You should never need an excuse to dryhop.

Exactly! Plus you can never use too much Amarillo. Period. I say dry hop with a pound of whole cone Amarillo for the first week and then up it to 10lbs for the next week. Then serve as wet hopballs with an ice cream scoop. :rockin:

Back