crowd pleaser recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtibrews2

Reaction score
I'm making a crowd pleaser batch next week and I had a question about my recipe....im making an all grain batch using 8 lbs of american2 and 2 lbs. Of honey malt with a late addition of 1 oz. Of cascade hops....will this be a easy drinking blonde or to easy maybe to sweet....more hops?????

2 lbs of honey malt is a lot - I would imagine it turning out way too sweet. There are plenty of recipes for crowd pleasers in the recipe section of this board.

For my tastes I would cut the honey malt back to 1/2 lb. it adds a real worty sweetness that I don't think would be pleasant at that level. Are you only adding the 1 oz of hops late, no bittering addition?

What yeast are you using? Mash temp?

Welcome to the board.

For my tastes I would cut the honey malt back to 1/2 lb. it adds a real worty sweetness that I don't think would be pleasant at that level. Are you only adding the 1 oz of hops late, no bittering addition?

What yeast are you using? Mash temp?

Welcome to the board.

I'm using white labs I think west coast..
. its for milds....

Temp 158

I will scale the honey back to 1/2 lbs.....but hops???? What do u guys suggest....thinking about it maybe I will use 1/2 oz of cascade at the 60 and 1/2 at the 10 min

That sounds like it has pretty good potential to be a crowd pleaser. I try to make all of my recipes with a certain amount of "crowd pleaser" quality to it.

Here's what I've found the masses like (and this is for my friends who generally are okay with craft brew - if you're making beer for people who drink BMC tell them to go fellate themselves):

-low bitterness, usually a BU:GU ratio of .5 or lower
-low hop flavor or aroma, but not necessarily zero
-a slightly sweeter finish
-crystal/caramel flavors are well received
-a medium to heavy mouthfeel
-low amounts of roast in a dark beer

EDIT: If you make a high alcohol beer (let's say 6% or more), you'll alienate a few people, but the rest of them will LOVE it. Super malty beers are frequently well received.

You don't have to combine all of these factors, but some are good.

2 pounds of honey malt in anything will taste gross. Half a pound in a 5.5 gallon batch is really my maximum and even then, it just tastes off to me. Add a bit of caramel malt (6-12 oz) if you want more color, mouthfeel and sweetness.

That sounds like it has pretty good potential to be a crowd pleaser. I try to make all of my recipes with a certain amount of "crowd pleaser" quality to it.

Here's what I've found the masses like (and this is for my friends who generally are okay with craft brew - if you're making beer for people who drink BMC tell them to go fellate themselves):

-low bitterness, usually a BU:GU ratio of .5 or lower
-low hop flavor or aroma, but not necessarily zero
-a slightly sweeter finish
-crystal/caramel flavors are well received
-a medium to heavy mouthfeel
-low amounts of roast in a dark beer

EDIT: If you make a high alcohol beer (let's say 6% or more), you'll alienate a few people, but the rest of them will LOVE it. Super malty beers are frequently well received.

You don't have to combine all of these factors, but some are good.

So should I stay with a half pound of honey or 1 pound????

Sorry, I meant that after you reduced it to a half pound. That's a powerful malt. I put 2# in 10gal and I liked it but it was insanely strong. It was a honey ale with something like 5# pilsner, 5# honey, and 2# honey malt. Go easy for a crowd pleaser.

Sorry, I meant that after you reduced it to a half pound. That's a powerful malt. I put 2# in 10gal and I liked it but it was insanely strong. It was a honey ale with something like 5# pilsner, 5# honey, and 2# honey malt. Go easy for a crowd pleaser.

should I ditch the honey a use a pound of crystal malt...i have some in my basement that's about a year old??? I'm a rookie so bare with me this is my first all grain....

Back