weldless to welded?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slakwhere

Reaction score
so i have the weldless bulkheads from Bargain Fittings, thinking of going welded. can i just take out the kit, enlarge the hole so the female threaded coupling fits inside the hole, and weld away? or am i missing something?

There is a "Ask Your Welding Questions Here" thread around here somewhere.

I would only ask why you would want to do so?

You could...but why are you going to weld? And, are you going to weld with stainless steel?
Unless you weld with the same metals, you're going to have a problem.
Just drill a hole in the side and screw in the kit.
However,
If you're determined to weld it. Return the kit, go to the hardware store, and buy a 1/2 inch SS coupler. It'll cost like $4. THen put a 1/2 nipple on it and screw on a 1/2 inch ball valve. You'll save around $30.
That being said. My advice is to just use the weldless kit.

the weldless kits are already installed. i have a guy who does some work for me on my race bike exhaust who said he could weld the SS stuff. so i'd just reuse the parts i have.

if you get it welded.....make sure the guy back purges it....if ur gonna use flux u may as well solder it and not waste ur money paying someone to weld it....plus im not sure how the tig would react to flux.....tig likes clean areas

yeah we would back gas for sure... tho i hear solder is almost as solid and cheaper. it's something i could do at home.

Using traditional weldless parts when soldering actually simulates the intent of the hole dimpling tool discussed in other threads. For the most part, the locknut makes a solid mechanical connection so tweaking the valve doesn't break the solder joint. The solder in this type of connection is then just to keep it from leaking.

Latest posts

Back