Hop Storage (FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank99

Reaction score
I'm trying to freeze my hops using the FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer and the provided zip lock bags. The vacuum sealer seems to work, but after a day I check and air has reentered the packages. Anyone else have this problem or have a good fix ? :confused:

Try wiping the dust from the hops away from the area of the bag that's going to be sealed, before you seal it. Doesn't happen very often to me, but in the event that I get a bad seal, it's usually hops dust that caused it.

I'm trying to freeze my hops using the FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer and the provided zip lock bags. The vacuum sealer seems to work, but after a day I check and air has reentered the packages. Anyone else have this problem or have a good fix ? :confused:

As long as the bag is clear of hops where the seal is applied mine has worked like a champ. I have been washing and reusing bags as well without incident.

I just use mason jars with the foodsaver. Easily reusable, no worries about the seal edges, and no need to buy bags ever. I've had no problems freezing them (I think the freezer issue is only when you're freezing liquids inside them, due to expansion/contraction).

I love my Foodsaver and use it for all kinds of things. Every now and then I get a bag that doesn't like to seal, usually due to moisture in the sealing area.
The solution for me has been to set the sealing knob on 2 instead of 1. That heats the bag a little longer. I have hops in my freezer which have been vac'd for a couple months with no problem.

+1 on clea[rn]ing the seal area (a few extra inches of bag can help make this easier) and bumping sealing knob to 2 or 3. Is this also my problem with the vacuum never finishing (sealing never starting)? Eventually I get bored and worried about burning out the motor and hit the "instant seal" button to finish the process. Only happens sometimes, and the bag seems well evacuated.

Thanks for the replies. I just noticed a bunch of hop dust around the seal area. If cleaning doesn't solve the problem I'll have to go the masonry jar route (also, I'm not using the heat sealer - I'm using the vacuum sealer). A little extra $$ for the jar seals, but I definitely don't want my recent 5 lb order from Hops Direct to go bad.

Back