White House Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfwmson

Reaction score
After seven batches of brew kit beer and one non-kit, I brewed the White House Honey Ale today, following the steps and recipe found online.

The steps were slightly different than I am used to but all went well and I stuck to the directions, but it said there is no need to strain.

It used Kent Goldings hops in the boil, and Fuggles Hops at the very end.

I have always strained the wort prior to this except for a dry hopped Rye pale Ale (that I really really like, the more times I have one!) so my question is this:

Will all that hop sink to the bottoem with the rest of the yeast? It calls of ra seconday rack into a carboy, but didn't mention straining then either. Will the hops continue to flavor and as a side effect bitter the beer? I have about four days to decide what to do.

I don't like the idea of all those hops ending up in the bottle. To strain or not to strain--that is the question.

Any hop particles will settle down to the bottom of the primary along with any other trub (break material, etc) after a couple weeks. You don't need to strain it out, nor do you really need a secondary.

When you rack it to your bottling bucket (or secondary fermenter, if you choose to use one), start with the bottom of the siphon around the middle of the beer. As you siphon the beer out, dip the siphon further in, being careful to stay above the level of the trub. As it empties, you can tip the fermenter and get almost all of the beer from the corner while leaving almost all of the trub behind.

Most common advice on here for your average-gravity ale is 3 weeks primary, then bottle, skip the secondary.

Back