Big Mouth Bubbler Evo 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If i learned anything from the BrewPi thread its that Wbarber likes to do things the hard way, but it always comes out magnificent at the end lol.

Hmmm ---

So let's see if I can follow this. I see a coffee cup that looks really well made. But my opinion that it is well made is meaningless until I've actually drank a cup of coffee from it?

Other's opinions and experience might have a bit more value than that.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers!
:mug:

All to often I see people jump on and start reviewing something they haven't even used, and I'm not just talking about this fermenter.

Your cup of coffee scenario: Looks well made yes, but, Use it. Maybe when the cup is full of a hot liquid, the heat from the liquid is transferred through the material and burns your hand as your trying to hold it...or maybe the handle is too narrow and the weight of the cup along with the weight of the liquid in it causes pain while trying to hold it using the handle. Or, the edge of the cup may have some weird ridge to it that as you sip, causes liquid to drip all over burning yourself. But hey, it looked well made.

Part of a review is if it looks durable BUT that's only 5% of the review. The main review is how does it perform? Does the lid seal properly? Can it easily be moved around full? Did the plastic lid crack as you were threading it onto the bubbler? Was it easy to open the lid? Does the bung fit perfectly in the lid for an air lock? Is it easy to clean the krausen out of it after a session? These are some of problems I've seen mentioned about this fermenter (and a few from the older style) in this thread alone AFTER the "IT LOOKS GREAT BUT I HAVEN'T USED IT!! THIS IS AWESOME, GO BUY IT" review.

Initial "unboxing" reviews have a place on any forum but to give a resounding "It's awesome" before even using it, well, that's just a poor review based off of nothing but looks.

Hey, I have a car I just manufactured....it looks awesome and it's fast!!! Go buy it!!! No? Oh, you want to test drive it? Why? It's looks well made, looks fast (it's painted red), has four wheels and an engine...it's every bit of a car visually. Sounds silly right?

Prove the 40% failure rate. Like I said I've got 3 of the originals and not a single problem with any of them.
I said that I have a product that maims fewer than the majority & going by your previuos logic, that's good enough for you to buy one, or in the case of the BMB, enough to buy 3.

You do realize that not every homebrewer is a member of hbt.
WTH does that have to do with anything i said?

Ok, we need to get back to the topic at hand, not going off on insults and teasing. (well, a *little* teasing is ok if it's done nicely.)

I'd love to have one of these. I'd like more information on how many are breaking vs how many aren't breaking. But we can't get that from anecdotal comments. And the company will never release that information. I have a plastic version and like it. But I only use it for smaller batches and secondary because it's the small version. I'd like to be confident using a glass version for primary, but I'm not that careful and I need my fingers for my work.

I personally wouldn't trust any glass BMB.
If you want one......get a plastic one.
Your fingers will thank you for it.

All to often I see people jump on and start reviewing something they haven't even used, and I'm not just talking about this fermenter.

Your cup of coffee scenario: Looks well made yes, but, Use it. Maybe when the cup is full of a hot liquid, the heat from the liquid is transferred through the material and burns your hand as your trying to hold it...?

Look, I'm not trying to start a piss-fight here but please, let us for a minute think about the reality of the discussion ... we are talking about a great big glass jar. A big glass jar -- get it? No moving parts here. No mechanical whiz-bangs. Just a big glass jar. We aren't talking about some high-performance over-engineered piece of wizardry.

Yes people bought these things in the first edition and some of them failed. So what did they do about it? Did they contact the seller for a refund? If the seller refused to make it right did they report that seller here? Did they do their own due diligence to get the matter rectified? If not then shame on them for being either timid, stupid or both.

Everyone following this thread knows about the previous problems so their views are, by default, tempered by this knowledge. I am of the opinion that anyone armed with this knowledge and with a little more intelligence than the average doorknob can look at a one of these big glass jars and make a realistic evaluation as to whether that big glass jar is reasonably well made or not.

A fair amount of skepticism is a good thing. But at some point discussions like this can move beyond healthy skepticism into something else.

Drama indeed! Has anyone heard of the BMB EVO II exploding? Shattering? Failing to effectively enclose and protect a fermenting beer? Me neither...

A fair amount of skepticism is a good thing.

So then why bother to quote my post and make some silly coffee cup rebuttal? When the original one's came out people thought they looked fine and well built until they later find the glass just broke during fermentation and spilled beer all over their carpeted floor without even being touched... it just broke. Or worse, people were injured.

So I simply say, "but perhaps you should consider putting it through actual use before giving it an all caps stamp of approval" and you feel the need to have to comment back about that? :confused: Odd.

Rev.

I have two of the EVO 2. The very fist one I had the bottom cracked at some point during fermentation but it wasn't enough to lose the beer. So Northern Brewer replaced it for me. The 2 I use now only have one issue they don't seal worth a darn. I have an original BMB also it seals great. Not sealing hasn't caused me any issues. I would just be nice to see the airlock bubble.

" and you feel the need to have to comment back about that? :confused: Odd.

Rev.

Everyone on this thread has a valuable opinion. We have a bunch of guys here who have been brewing a while and know something of brewing equipment. And we also know that because they're following this thread they have knowledge that previous versions had problems. If one of these guys says he thinks it is a good tool then I, for one, will give him a nod and consider it one plus vote for the product. I haven't read a single review of THIS product on this forum or others that mentioned anything about spontaneous breakage. There have been some negative comments regarding the lid sealing issue and in my world that's a minus vote.

I prefer to give everyone on this thread credit for having a brain. But I don't respect snipers who have no opinion of their own but like to make snarky comments minimizing those who do. I have even less time for those who have had no experience with the subject matter but yet feel it is their self-appointed duty to set everyone else straight.

Cheers!
:mug:

Fwiw I do intend to eventually move over to pressurized fermenting. But that's a whole bother thread. And I'll be shelving all my glass, for the most part. I may use them for some honey wine experimenting or I may give them to other brewers. I got in on the bmb ground floor. I saw the advertisements when they first came out and I went ahead and got me some. They've been great fermenters so far. I can't say anything about evo2 since I never needed anymore beer in the pipeline. But basically anything that'll keep air out your wort for a few weeks is a win for homebrewing. But don't just knock a glass vessel because it's made of glass. Hell my mirror got hit going down the highway the other day and I got got pretty cut up since my window was down. Come to find out the mirror was made of rigid plastic. It still shattered like glass. The moral is. Don't manhandle 40lbs of thin glass every weekend and think it's never gonna fail. Granted the bmbs are very thin. It's great that people are concerned with everyone's well being. But at the end of day, you do you. I've got me.

But I don't respect snipers who have no opinion of their own but like to make snarky comments minimizing those who do

But you quoted ME. What part of "I'm glad initial inspection seems to checkout, I definitely don't enjoy stories of my fellow homebrewers getting injured, but perhaps you should consider putting it through actual use before giving it an all caps stamp of approval." constitutes sniping or a snarky comment?? I said I'm glad initial inspection checks out. His review said "So - for those on the fence ... GET THIS" when he's never even used it yet. I still fail to see how my post is so awful :confused:

Rev.

People who are raving about it because they're on a buyers high and don't want to regret their decision are no better than people who are degrading something they haven't tried.

Those look awesome! I don't see any problems with them. I ENDORSE THIS PRODUCT!!!

I said that I have a product that maims fewer than the majority & going by your previuos logic, that's good enough for you to buy one, or in the case of the BMB, enough to buy 3.

Are the above posts addressed to children or adults?

I have the same problem you have but turned around the other way. You and the others above seem to have a problem with opinions without a sufficient amount of practical application to satisfy you. I have a problem with those who don't have the product, have no intention of buying one but feel it is necessary to intrude into a discussion and attack the intelligence of those who are engaged in the process.

Buy the product and try it then post your own opinion. If you have no practical experience with the product then read and learn. Don't waste everyone's time with attempts to minimize the intelligence of those who have.

Are the above posts addressed to children or adults?

I have the same problem you have but turned around the other way. You and the others above seem to have a problem with opinions without a sufficient amount of practical application to satisfy you. I have a problem with those who don't have the product, have no intention of buying one but feel it is necessary to intrude into a discussion and attack the intelligence of those who are engaged in the process.

Buy the product and try it then post your own opinion. If you have no practical experience with the product then read and learn. Don't waste everyone's time with attempts to minimize the intelligence of those who have.

Someone doesn't need to own the product to recognize logical fallacies in the opinions of those who do.

Quote:

My intentions on posting are to save those unaware of the potential hazards of a product with a reputation of maiming people. .

Everyone following the thread from post #1 is aware of those hazards. That is the whole point of the discussion. Perhaps in your zeal to protect us from ourselves you missed that part?

We've gone from discussing the product to discussing, and dissing, other members. I've politely warned against it. Now the thread is locked.

You guys should buy an EVO 2 if you want to, and don't if you don't want to. I don't think we're going to get any more information or discussion ON THE DEVICE in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back