Cross-Breeding hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetuchenBrewerNJ

Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone here ever cross-breaded their own hops to make a unique species? I'm thinking of giving it a try within the next year or two. A friend of mine is a horticulturist and I'm sure he could help, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here has ever done it first.
-C

I am only in my second year of hop growing, and for that matter I've only been gardening for about 5 years but I have heard that most vegetables and hops included will cross pollinate into a hybrid rather quickly (within a year). This is not a engineered hybrid but rather a more natural one. They are not dramatic hybrids that have led to so many different hop varieties but rather a hop that will have perhaps have different AA/AB and perhaps a different subtle aromas from another "identical" hop grown by someone else. This was brought to my attention when I indicated to some fellow gardeners that I intended to harvest some seeds from some of my vegetables for next year (i.e. peas, beans) and they told me that unless they were grown alone and were a straight forward heirloom variety plant it was likely the seeds of my harvest were going to be a corrupted hybrid that would likely produce inferior fruits. This being caused by the cross pollination that occurrs. There again I am neither a expert or a horticulturist but the theory makes sense I think.

Brewing hops are all female. There isn't anything to cross breed then with. Beans won't pollinate a hop so you need to get your hands on some male plants.

If your serious about making your own plant you should research the origin of different varieties becaus you may just reinvent the wheel if "invent" a cross breed that already exists.

Back