Final Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
If i know the OG and the abv is there a way to find what the FG should be?
The OG is supposed to be 1.047. ABV is 4.9%

The final gravity will depend on your grain bill, your extract/brewhouse efficiency, fermentation temperature, and the attenuation of the yeast you are using.

What was your grain bill, your estimated efficiency, fermentation temperature, and the type of yeast you used?

a little over 7lbs LME
1/2 lb munich malt
1/4 lb 40L
1 lb flaked wheat
White Labs American Hefe Yeast
and its fermenting 69-71

WLP320 American Hefe Yeast is 70-75% attenuative. Although it isn't a direct calculation (due to mash temperatures and grain bill considerations), you can roughly assume the the FG will be between:

47 * .7 = 32.9, so 1.047 - .0329 = 1.014
and
47 * .75 - 35.5, so 1.047 - .0355 = 1.012

That's what you'd expect to see...

Since you know your OG and ABV, I'd just go here: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php and use the calculator. Just type in your guess for the FG until you get to the ABV you know. In your case, the FG is 1.010.

FG = OG - ABV/0.131 --> 47 - 4.9/0.131 = 1.0096

How do you know the abv without knowing the FG?

I dont think this is one of the things you can figure out backwards. You have to have the FG anf OG to get the ABV.... How can you "know" what its supposed to be?

probably what the recipe is supposed to make. or a clone of something else with that abv. he said he knew what it was "supposed" to be.

gotcha. ya its kinda weird, but if you're going from a brewery website, sometimes its the only choice you got.

rf, what size batch is this cuz your recipe seems over 1.047?

Back