Chinade Pale Ale Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
I bought a pound of cascade and a pound of Chinook (both whole hops) a while back and I'm trying to come up with ways to use them while they're still fresh. I'd like to make a pale ale similar to Edwort's Pale Ale recipe, but with more hoppy flavor and aroma. I read that Chinook can have a harsh bite, so I was thinking about just adding it at 30 minutes instead of 60. I've played with an IBU calculator here and came up with about 44 IBUs (slightly more than the 39 in the Bee Cave recipe).

Here's what I'm thinking:

1 oz Chinook(12.4 AA) @ 30
1 oz Cascade(5.7 AA) @ 15
1 oz Cascade(5.7 AA) @ 5

Maybe 1 of each at flame out and/or dry hop...?

I haven't done any of my own recipes so far, but I'd like to try something like this unless you folks talk me out of it. Any suggestions?

Looks good to me. I don't normally add after 15 minutes if I'm dry-hopping. Why waste it? I'll do 60/20/dry-hop.

Chinook can be rather harsh. Some folks love it; I don't.

Cheers!

Bob

Besides the hop schedule, I wasn't sure if I needed to change the malt bill any with it having more hop presence. I guess I'll just have to try it as is the first time and go from there.

Back