What would you pay for this equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smee44

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and want some opinions on a Craigslist lot.

1) Three 6.5 gal carboys ($30 ea)
2) Two 6 gal carboys ($25 ea)
3) Two empty 5# CO2 tanks one with dual gage (should these have a pressure test date? I didn’t see one) ($25 ea)
4) One corny keg (not very clean, little surface rust on inside, and a short party tap) ($20)
5) One six gal bucket a few very small scratches ($5)
6) One Small immersion chiller (3/8 in tube 25 ft I think) ($10)
7) Box of random small stuff: caps, thermometer, wing capper…worth about $25-35

I don’t keg yet but this could be an excuse to start. I don’t know much about CO2 bottles but I think I have read they need to be pressure tested every so often? If so how much does that cost.

With my guess in prices I came up with around $250. Since I am new to brewing I wanted to check in and see. Also the kegging equipment is a real guess, as I haven’t done anything with that yet only googled to make a guess on the price. Also I need it to be a real deal otherwise I’ll pass.

What price makes it a good deal/a steal?

Thanks HBT.

The carboys are worth money assuming they are in good condition. 6.5 used to be harder to find, but I've been seeing them more often lately. I think they sell new at most HBS for $50-60. The CO2 tanks are also useful. Assuming the cert is out of date, they do need to be pressure tested, but depending on where you live any CO2 supplier can do that for you. Typically a recertification costs in the range of $15 and I believe it's good for 5 years. You may also find a CO2 trade in station (ie a local liquor store) willing to trade out the tanks for a full tank as they have an upcharge on the CO2 and are willing to recert your old tanks themselves. Assuming the dual gage is in good working order, that is also quite useful as those can be expensive. Problem with craigslist though, your recourse is limited if the gauge is broken. Lots of things can happen to mess up a gauge, from being dropped, to having liquid get into it if a check valve wasn't used....

Now for the bad part of the listing, I personally would not use a corney keg with any rust. You're going to need to rebuild any corney you get, a minimum of replacing the o-rings, and I have just found that really junked corneys are more of a pain than they're worth. Do you even know if it holds pressure? If not, it's worthless. The plastic bucket is also worthless for anything but grinding grain in. Any scratches in plastic render it uncleanable and risk infection of your beer. To the extent there is any plastic tubing, also due to infection issues, I would never advocate using used tubing or plastic items unless you really knew the person who gave it to you.

The immersion chiller has value, as does the miscellaneous stuff, thermometer, capper, etc.

If you could get all 5 carboys for $25 each ($125) plus a bit extra for there rest, then I would say a real deal/steal would be anything under $150.00. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys I thought that the corny might be toast. As for the bucket I agree but put $5 on it thinking of storage. With the 5 carboys i wouldn't need it as a fermentor anyway. As for plastic tubing i am in complete agreement. I even told the guy that it was useless to me.

Other thoughts on the equipment.

Back