Cold Smoke Scotch Ale Clone Attempt II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remuS

Reaction score
Original Thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/kettlehouse-cold-smoke-scotch-ale-recipe-259668/

Thought I'd give this another go since my first attempt... all the details for the commercial version are in the link above, right from Paul Roy (Kettlehouse Brewer).

My first batch lacked the roasted flavor of the commercial version, and missed OG by 15 points ( blame it on precrushed grains from online retailer ). This time I crushed my own grain and upped the malts a bit to hit the OG and hopefully get a little more roasty flavor.

Here it is:

11# 2-Row
0.3# 120L
0.25# Black Malt
0.1# Roasted Barley

Mashed at 149, was 148 after 60 minutes. Added 1 gallon boiling water for mashout. Sparged with 180 degree water and hit 167.

Hops and stuff:
0.25 oz Colombus @110
0.27# brown sugar @30
0.3 oz northern brewer @0

Note this is for a 2-hour boil. They use Holdings at flameout, but I was out. For the brown sugar, I mixed in some hot wort and stirred it before adding to the boil. This helped prevent burning I hope. I used light but would have used dark had I had any.

Yeast:
Safale US-05. Rehydrated with a cup of water.

They reportedly use WL-001.

I overshot my OG by 4 or 5 points and hit 1.071.

My fermentation chamber is in use, so ill be using a gallon of ice and teeshirt to try to maintain 70 degrees ( they ferment at 70, or so I hear ). It will be on primary for a little over 4 weeks, then ill naturally Carb in keg for another 4 weeks. Ill report back once I pull the first pint.

I brewed it and then left town for 3 weeks shortly afterwards... and apparently a heat wave came though. My girlfriend changed the ice out for me for the first week, but I dont have any clue how warm it actually got. It sat in the carboy for 6 weeks before I bottled / kegged.

Initially, it was a little "hot" and my initial impressions were not great. However, I recently moved out of MT and brought about 24 bombers of random homebrew / commerical beer with me. A week ago I ended up trying one of thse... it really turned around. I might even say it was better then Cold Smoke (though I havn't had the real stuff since Christmas time).

If I were to do it again, I would do 10# 2-row and keep everything else the same. Age really did it some good too. At 2.5 months it wasn't great, but after 6 months it was fantastic.

Back