Substituting Muntons Gold for Regular Muntons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobp67

Reaction score
I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum, should have posted it here first, so:

Getting ready to start my first homebrew in over 20 years. Picked a Midwest Irish Red Ale kit which I bought with the standard Muntons dry yeast. I was a bit nervous not having any spare yeast on hand, so I found a great eBay deal on a 10 pack of Muntons Premium Gold.

I understand the Muntons Gold is preferred when brewing AG, but is there any reason it wouldn't work well with this kit? I was planning on pitching 2 6-gram packets (rehydrated) to make sure I get a good full fermentation, and my primary will be in a 68-70 deg basement. I plan on 7-10 days in primary, about 2 weeks in secondary and bottle condition for 3 weeks or so.

Should I expect any problems with taste, carbonation or clarity?

You shouldn't have any troubles with the Munton's gold yeast. It doesn't matter if you are using the yeast for an extract or all-grain batch.

Thanks chezteth, I thought it would be ok but after reading that the Gold actually flocculates and drops out a bit quicker I was concerned I'd end up with too high a FG. Good to know that there shouldn't be any problems.

Cheers!

Back