Other uses for Carrageenan (Irish Moss)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I forgot about this.
Weeks back, my wife had the opportunity to go to the FBR. During the event some people were passing out some samples and she put in her purse what she thought was some lotion samples.

2272991014_640d71fc47.jpg

It turned out to be Carrageenan...
2272991212_7bb473c293.jpg

2272197843_ee3ee25cb0.jpg

hmmm...
2272198003_f7a1f60143.jpg

Uses
Desserts, ice cream, milk shakes, sauces — gel to increase viscosity
Beer — clarifier to remove haze-causing proteins
Pâtés and processed meat — Substitute fat to increase water retention and increase volume
Toothpaste — stabilizer to prevent constituents separating
Fire fighting foam — thickener to cause foam to become sticky
Shampoo and cosmetic creams — thickener
Air freshener gels
Marbling -- the ancient art of paper and fabric marbling uses a carrageenan mixuture to float paints or inks upon; the paper or fabric is then laid on it, absorbing the colors.
Shoe polish — gel to increase viscosity
Biotechnology — gel to immobilize cells/enzymes
Pharmaceuticals — used as an inactive excipient in pills/tablets
Carrageenan has also been used to thicken skim milk, in an attempt to emulate the consistency of whole milk. This usage did not become popular. It's used in some brands of soy milk
Diet sodas
Lambda carrageenan is used in animal models of inflammation used to test analgesics, because dilute carrageenan solution (1-2%) injected subcutaneously causes swelling and pain.
Sexual lubricant and microbicide
Laboratory studies suggest that carrageenans might function as topical microbicides, blocking sexually transmitted viruses such as HPV and herpes, though not HIV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan

I make a hot lemon and whiskey drink with it.

It's widely used as a thickener in expensive make ups as an alternate to chemicals.

It can also be eaten like a vegetable.

Funny, I never really researched beyond the surface with that stuff. I've tasted everything I put into the beer and the irish moss just tastes salty. Orfy - do you buy it in a different form for other purposes or just cook/mix as is?

Alrighty, I'll try sprinkling some on next time I'm about to get intimate with the wifey, but I don't think she's gonna like it!!! ;) :D

533072.JPG

Back