I'm Going 'BANANAS'!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmynuts

Reaction score
My first ever batch has been in primary for 1 week. After some research and helpful information from everyone here on my previous post, I'm afraid you were ALL right: my first batch is going to have some nasty off flavors due to my high fermentation temps. My living room smells like a bunch of stupid bananas. :ban:

I have accepted the fact that it isn't going to turn out as well as I had hoped. But, it IS beer. So I guess I win no matter what.

Every post I've read basically tells me to sit and wait and hope that in time the off flavors will lessen. The way I understand it, the longer I leave it in primary, the more the yeast will work to clean it up. But, how long would you all suggest? How long is too long? At some point it becomes counterproductive, I'm sure. Please correct me if this is not the best course of action for the situation I am in.

I'm bummed it didn't work out. But I'm glad I learned something on my very first batch. I could have ******* lucked my way through numerous batches and not learned a thing. My father in law is making a temperature control device at work for me. I will be using my old beer fridge as a fermentation chamber on future batches.

Thanks again for your input. You guys are awesome!

What type of beer did you brew? I'm assuming you went with a belgian type yeast?

Were you able to lower the temp of your fermentor at all, or is it still in a high temperature environment?

You could try and mellow it out in primary for 4 weeks and see if the yeast can clean it up a little, but I'm not sure how many of those esters are going to dissipate from this, but time definitely will help.

It doesn't sound like you messed it up, you just discovered the very upper end of high temperature fermenting first-hand!

I applaud and thank you for your discovery for all of our sakes! ;)

What type of beer did you brew? I'm assuming you went with a belgian type yeast?

Were you able to lower the temp of your fermentor at all, or is it still in a high temperature environment?

You could try and mellow it out in primary for 4 weeks and see if the yeast can clean it up a little, but I'm not sure how many of those esters are going to dissipate from this, but time definitely will help.

It doesn't sound like you messed it up, you just discovered the very upper end of high temperature fermenting first-hand!

I applaud and thank you for your discovery for all of our sakes! ;)

Negative ghost rider. It's an Irish Red Ale. It was my first batch and I had a friend help me who has been extract brewing for years. And I definitely messed up. Optimum temps for the yeast was 57-70F. I had crazy action within 8 hours of pitching the yeast. He told me to wrap the fermenter in a coat, which I did. At the time I didn't know any better. He was nice enough to offer his help and I gladly accepted, as I was SURE I would just screw something up. Shortly after, the temps were up above 78F. Within a couple days all noticeable activity had stopped.

Don't toss your eggs before they're hatched.

Fermentation is an ugly thing. The beer even changes during carbonation. Don't assess until it's finished.

I haven't given up, that's why I'm asking for suggestions. I'm gonna drink it regardless!

But I will definitely be controlling my fermentation temps next time.

Negative ghost rider. It's an Irish Red Ale. It was my first batch and I had a friend help me who has been extract brewing for years. And I definitely messed up. Optimum temps for the yeast was 57-70F. I had crazy action within 8 hours of pitching the yeast. He told me to wrap the fermenter in a coat, which I did. At the time I didn't know any better. He was nice enough to offer his help and I gladly accepted, as I was SURE I would just screw something up. Shortly after, the temps were up above 78F. Within a couple days all noticeable activity had stopped.

I would surmise your friends favorite brew is Mango-Rhubarb-Strawberry-Peach ale. Guaranteed to cover most of the flaws from not using the best brewing practices. Your friend did not do you any favors.

Knowing your yeast is as important as sanitation. For most ales the best fermentation temperature is in the low to mid point of the manufacturers optimum range. There are some subtleties though. One is WY1056. Fermenting at less than 65° can produce noticeable peach flavors in lighter beers.

Come back with some specific questions when you are getting ready for your next brew day.

Leave this one in the primary for four weeks. The yeast may be able to do some clean up.

I would surmise your friends favorite brew is Mango-Rhubarb-Strawberry-Peach ale. Guaranteed to cover most of the flaws from not using the best brewing practices. Your friend did not do you any favors.

Knowing your yeast is as important as sanitation. For most ales the best fermentation temperature is in the low to mid point of the manufacturers optimum range. There are some subtleties though. One is WY1056. Fermenting at less than 65° can produce noticeable peach flavors in lighter beers.

Come back with some specific questions when you are getting ready for your next brew day.

Leave this one in the primary for four weeks. The yeast may be able to do some clean up.

Haha thanks! He brews IIPAs pretty much exclusively. I've had them, and they are quite tasty. But I'm assuming that a beer with so much hops can help mask mistakes like what I'm dealing with. But, I figured he knows better than me, so I blindly followed along. Not a big deal, like I said, it will be consumed. I don't even know, maybe I like banana beer?!

Yeah, that's definitely too warm. Some Belgian beers need temps like that, but most ales do pretty well in the mid 60s. Most (or even all) yeasts will produce isoamyl acetate (banana ester) if you let them get warm enough. Just some produce a lot more than others.

Yeah, that's definitely too warm. Some Belgian beers need temps like that, but most ales do pretty well in the mid 60s. Most (or even all) yeasts will produce isoamyl acetate (banana ester) if you let them get warm enough. Just some produce a lot more than others.

The proof is in the air! You know, it's actually quite pleasant in the house. Maybe I've stumbled onto something...

I will be controlling my ferm temps in the future. In the meantime I will leave this guy in primary for 3 more weeks. If it cleans up, great. If not, I'm drinking it anyway. Thanks for the input!

I dislike banana.
Any recipe which has cooked/baked banana in it has always given me terrible indigestion. My Hefes are even strong clove.

The proof is in the air! You know, it's actually quite pleasant in the house. Maybe I've stumbled onto something...

I will be controlling my ferm temps in the future. In the meantime I will leave this guy in primary for 3 more weeks. If it cleans up, great. If not, I'm drinking it anyway. Thanks for the input!

Doubt thats necessary, if you were really fermenting at 78F you likely fermented out everything your going to ferment in a week. Check your gravity for a few days and if it doesnt move bottle it.

There's no real reason to wait if it is done, if it ends up being harsh it will age out just as well in the bottle as it would sitting in the carboy another few weeks...except atleast they will be carb'd.

My first ever batch has been in primary for 1 week. After some research and helpful information from everyone here on my previous post, I'm afraid you were ALL right: my first batch is going to have some nasty off flavors due to my high fermentation temps. My living room smells like a bunch of stupid bananas. :ban:

I have accepted the fact that it isn't going to turn out as well as I had hoped. But, it IS beer. So I guess I win no matter what.

Every post I've read basically tells me to sit and wait and hope that in time the off flavors will lessen. The way I understand it, the longer I leave it in primary, the more the yeast will work to clean it up. But, how long would you all suggest? How long is too long? At some point it becomes counterproductive, I'm sure. Please correct me if this is not the best course of action for the situation I am in.

I'm bummed it didn't work out. But I'm glad I learned something on my very first batch. I could have ******* lucked my way through numerous batches and not learned a thing. My father in law is making a temperature control device at work for me. I will be using my old beer fridge as a fermentation chamber on future batches.

Thanks again for your input. You guys are awesome!

I am doing a HefeWeizen and really banking on subtle notes of banana/clove... Think positive! Just tell someone when you hand them a brew that it's an exotic wild banana Hefeweizen! :mug:

Doubt thats necessary, if you were really fermenting at 78F you likely fermented out everything your going to ferment in a week. Check your gravity for a few days and if it doesnt move bottle it.

There's no real reason to wait if it is done, if it ends up being harsh it will age out just as well in the bottle as it would sitting in the carboy another few weeks...except atleast they will be carb'd.

I took a gravity reading a few days ago. Got 1.008. Best guess northern brewer gave me when I emailed them was a FG of 1.011. What does it mean that I was already below the manufacturer's FG in 3 days?

What would you suggest I do if I planned on kegging?

I'm taking another reading now.

OK. Northern Brewer estimated a FG of 1.011. 3 days after pitching, gravity was 1.008. Today, 7 days after pitching, gravity was 1.003. The sample didn't taste as strong of bananas as the scent would lead you to believe. It was pretty good. A little warmth in your throat when you drink it but the flavor wasn't as bad as I expected.

So, new questions. I am well below the estimated FG. And it has continued to drop over the last 4 days. So, as I understand it, fermentation STILL not complete. Not until my gravity readings are consistent. Right?

I'm assuming the best course of action is to leave it in primary until the gravity stabilizes. But someone mentioned not worrying about it and go ahead and bottle it. What should I do if I was planning on kegging it??

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all the help!

I would first check your hydrometer, I dont think its possible your gravity is that low especially with an extract kit. That's very low for beer.

If it tasted ok keg it now. You don't have the same restraints bottlers do.

But check your hydrometer in some 70f water should float near 1.000

I would first check your hydrometer, I dont think its possible your gravity is that low especially with an extract kit. That's very low for beer.

If it tasted ok keg it now. You don't have the same restraints bottlers do.

Or 1.000 at 60°F if your hydrometer is calibrated for 60°. The calibration temperature is printed on the card inside the hydrometer.

Or 1.000 at 60°F if your hydrometer is calibrated for 60°. The calibration temperature is printed on the card inside the hydrometer.

Calibration plus meniscus reference.

Brewing hydrometers are either calibrated to 60F or to 20C (68F), and most are calibrated to read through the meniscus, but there are some calibrated to read above, so I understand. Mine is 60F and through.

I took a reading in distilled water this morning before leaving for work: 1.000

I never thought to check if it is calibrated for 60F or 70F. Again, still learning. I just assumed it was 60F since that's the standard temperature for specific gravity readings.

I googled a gravity converter for when your sample isn't the standard 60F. All my samples were 70-71F when the readings were taken. And it really didn't make that much of a difference (ex: 1.008 original reading - 1.009 using conversion for temperature).

Latest posts

Back