Opinions on this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird

Reaction score
Well, I'm fixing to buy a new house, want to use up leftover stuff.

Gonna do this, for an ESB:

10 lb Maris Otter 2 row (well I had to buy that)
1/2 lb 60L
1/2 lb cara-pils
1.5 oz Fuggles 60 min
1 oz Styrian Goldings 60 min
0.5 oz Kent Goldings 30 min
0.5 oz KG 5 min

and a vial of WLP 013 London Ale yeast

that will use up all the hops except half a pack of Cascades, and a little chocolate grain.

Opinions? Tweaks?

I also have a 1/2 lb of malto-dextrin, would you throw that in?

freebird said:
I also have a 1/2 lb of malto-dextrin, would you throw that in?

Don't see why, I think you are good to go as is.

That recipe sounds like a pretty good ESB to me. You may be a tad high on the 60 minute bittering hops. Maybe split the Fuggles and add at the 30 minute and 5 minute times.
Or leave the recipe just as it is if you like it. :mug:

I think he means he was out of base malt, but wanted to use up his specialty malts and hops.

I'm always a fan of carapils (malto dextrin), but then again the 2nd most important thing for me after flavor is body and head . . . . for some reason that just sounds dirty

jar said:
I think he means he was out of base malt, but wanted to use up his specialty malts and hops.

yea, what he said. LHBS is carrying more stuff daily, like 10 lb bags of MO.

thanks for the tips... just worked out that way (leftovers from american brews, hobgoblin clone, etc etc... )

RichBrewer said:
That recipe sounds like a pretty good ESB to me. You may be a tad high on the 60 minute bittering hops. Maybe split the Fuggles and add at the 30 minute and 5 minute times.
Or leave the recipe just as it is if you like it. :mug:

Oh! A broncos fan and brewer. Looks like I have come to the right place.....:mug:

If you get good efficiency, I'd cut back a bit on the Maris Otter. I usually use about 7 1/2 lbs M.O, 1 lb crystal, and 1/2 lb Cara Pils. but I get efficiency of about 85% Using the full 11 lbs grain would undoubtedly give a tasty brew, but I'd get wasted after one pint. Besides which, if you cut back on the M.O. a bit, it won't be long before you have enough left over to make another brew out of your left overs.:rockin:
The hops look great as they are.

If you need any help drinking it when it is finished, I'll be happy to volunteer my services.:tank:

-a.

If you really want to use up the cascades you could put it in at 30 in place of the half ounce of KG and use the KG as a dry hop.

dantodd said:
If you really want to use up the cascades you could put it in at 30 in place of the half ounce of KG and use the KG as a dry hop.

I did this with an ESB once, and it gave it a funny citrus twang right in the middle of the palate. It was still a good beer, but it didn't quite taste like a true ESB. That was my experience however, and it doesn't necessarily pertain to your tastes or your brewing style.

That said, I think the hops look good with the Fuggles/EKG breakdown. The 60 min addition may be a tad high, but I think all in all, this will be a good beer.

:mug:

Back