Advice on Two-Hearted Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
I got this recipe for a two-hearted ale clone:

10 lb 2-row
2 lb vienna
1/2 lb crystal 15
1/2 lb carapils

My LHBS only had one pound of vienna left, so i got a pound of belgian munich to replace it

Thoughts?

Also, this recipe calls for American Ale II/California V
The last 2hearted clone recipe i saw used irish ale

Similar?
Thoughts?

I think a hop schedule would help if you want some advice. This beer calls for a simple grain bill, which you have. I've got a two hearted I need to bottle in the next few days that is exactly the same except .5lb of munich instead of vienna. I also bumped the 2-row to 11 lbs for mine.

My hop schedule was:

60 min Tettninger 4.40% 1oz
60 min Amarillo 8.20% 1oz
30 min Amarillo 8.20% 0.5oz
15 min Cascades 5.40% 1oz
5 min Cascades 5.40% 1oz
5 min Amarillo 8.20% 1oz

Dry hopped with 2oz of cascades.

all the recipes ive seen are straight centennial, but my question is with substituting the munich for the vienna- is that a pretty close sub?

2HA is all centennial.

I have done a few "clone recipes" and messed around a bit with the hops.

Your grainbill looks fine, but I would use 5oz centenial something like:

1 oz FWH
1 oz @ 60
1 oz @ 20
1 oz @ 5
1 oz DH

but thats just me. I like the bitterness from FWH. I made one (extract) recipe with 1.5 @ 60, and I am finding out I like a heavier late addition than early addition. YMMV

Hey we were discussing this very brew today on another thread. I haven't had it but I sure want to try it now. ;)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3oz-centennial-hops-85005/index3.html#post909017

+1 the munich will be fine. I recommended using some corn sugar in place of some base malt so it will be drier since the original is OG 1.058 and FG 1.004. I've used table sugar as well in the past. Unless you are doing all grain and doing a 120 minute mash at 146*F that final gravity is out of reach without using some adjuncts.

Ive been adding more sugar to recipes lately- i cant control my temps well and my attenuation was bad- the last few brews turned out pretty well, though

i added a FWH to the recipe, but its only half an ounce at each addition

Back