Stabilizing a 55 gallon drum of Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timotb

Reaction score
This year I decided to go big and make 55 gallons of hard cider in a 55 gallon drum instead of individual 5 gallon carboys.

Last year was the first time I tried stabilizing before letting it go completely dry for a sweet taste. I'm using Red Star Champagne yeast and I know this stuff is hard to shut down.

Can someone verify my dosages for a 55 gallon container dissolved first.

Potassium Metabisulphite = 2.3 teaspoons
Potassium Sorbate= 110 teaspoons or 18.3 oz.

This year I decided to go big and make 55 gallons of hard cider in a 55 gallon drum instead of individual 5 gallon carboys.

Last year was the first time I tried stabilizing before letting it go completely dry for a sweet taste. I'm using Red Star Champagne yeast and I know this stuff is hard to shut down.

Can someone verify my dosages for a 55 gallon container dissolved first.

Potassium Metabisulphite = 2.3 teaspoons
Potassium Sorbate= 110 teaspoons or 18.3 oz.

I thought it was 1/4 teaspoon K Meta per 5 gallons of must. 55 gallons would need 2.75 teaspoons. (11 * .25 = 2.75)

It would be best to read what the label says for dosage on your bottle of K Meta

thanks...Do I look right on the K sorbate?

Yours may be different, but my bottle of K Sorbate says " 1/2 Tsp per gallon".

So that would be 27.5 teaspoons (55*.50 = 27.5)

Again, verify what the dose is on your bottle of K Sorbate.

Sorbate and sulfite are normally added to prevent renewed fermentation AFTER fermentation has been halted by other means. They are not meant to be used to stop an active fermentation. A fermenting 55 gallon barrel contains billions of active yeast cells. Sorbate and sulfite do not kill yeast, so after adding them, you'll still have billions of active yeast cells.

Sorbate and sulfite are normally added to prevent renewed fermentation AFTER fermentation has been halted by other means. They are not meant to be used to stop an active fermentation. A fermenting 55 gallon barrel contains billions of active yeast cells. Sorbate and sulfite do not kill yeast, so after adding them, you'll still have billions of active yeast cells.

Ah....this only being my second year at trying to stop the fermentation explains my error from last year. I will have to research those "other means" of halting it. Here is one explaination for anyone interested >>>> http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-stop-fermentation/

Back