figuring out my system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
So I have done my third AG. I am getting better at my volumes but not quite there. When adjusting my mash and sparge volumes do I base it on percentages?? ie. if i mash with 5.4 gallons and get 3.25 (60%) and sparge with 3.6 and get 3.5 (96%) is that how I adjust my volumes to get my target pre-boil volume?

Also, if I boil for 1 hour and only get down to 5.75 gallons instead of 5.25 do I keep boiling to get a more accurate OG?

oh yeah, sorry. Batch sparging

In that case:

1) Pick your batch size. For example, 5.25 gal. This is the amount you want to be sitting in your kettle at the end of the brew.

2) Figure out your boil-off rate. Depending on your setup, this could be anything from .5 gal/hour to 2 gal/hour. If you do 60min boils, add this value to your batch size to get your pre-boil volume. For example, if you get one gallon of boil off in an hour, your pre-boil volume is 6.25 gallons.

3) Typically, you want half of your wort to come from your first runnings and half from your batch sparge (assuming you are doing a single batch sparge). So, you should use half of your pre-boil volume (here, 3.125 gallons) as sparge water.

4) Your strike water will be equal to: half of your pre-boil volume + grain absorption + mash tun deadspace. Mash tun deadspace is the amount of liquid left in your mash tun after you drain it, and should be constant from batch to batch (i.e., a quart). Grain absorption will vary from batch to batch, depending on the size of your grist bill. Most people use .125 gal/pound as a good approximation, though other facts can to some degree impact this.

So, with any new system, you've got to figure out boil-off rate and mash tun deadspace. You should check your gravity pre-boil to know how your efficiency was, and then from there decide if you need to do a longer boil to get your water levels down properly. If your wort is too concentrated (i.e., your efficiency was better than you predicted), you can always add water. But, if you extend your boil after you've added all of your hops, you'll significantly change your recipe's hop profile.

Your boil-off is not a set amount. The conditions of the atmosphere have a sometimes frustrating effect. Cold dry windy winter day and the water will be FLYING outta the pot. Warm muggy calm day and its like pulling teeth to get the volume to drop.... something to keep in mind as you chase this issue down. BTW MalFet is absolutely right, don't monkey up your hop profile just to get the volume down. A little lower OG is better than out of whack IBU's.

Wow, that was exactly what I was looking for!!! Should be a sticky IMO!! Thank you very much. Makes sense and easy to understand and answered even my next question regarding the hops.

I also find that its easier to come under volume as opposed to over volume post boil. That way you can just add water to correct concentration and volume. Just something to keep in mind as you experiment.

Back