Japan's Superior Beer Can Technology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beer's tolerable to a certain extent.

The **** part is when they charge you $3 for that one can of beer.

I was expecting square beer cans, meant to stack neatly and efficiently in limited space.

Like these watermelons:
31015-square_watermelons_good_idea.jpg

I can't remember the last time I drank beer out of a can.

This evening I had a can of Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale. Oskar Blues has most of their best craft brews available in cans. Great beer. Craft brew in cans is gaining ground rapidly in the Western US. Better than the majority of bottled beer that I have had because the can prevents light from oxidizing the beer, the lining inside the can keeps the beer fresh longer, and the cans are easily recycled. Montanaandy

I'm drinking Yuengling from the can as we speak. I'm happy for the most part except for all the broken fingernails from opening these damn American made aluminum cans.

There's still charred bits of them in holes on Tarawa. They didn't best us there.

We'll be going there next week on vacation, and it will be interesting to see how all those "unfortunate" events are viewed....although, from what I've read, they are basically just ignored, except for the part at the end where we inexplicably nuked them twice. If I get into talking family with any Japanese, best to leave out the part that goes "Yes, my father was a U.S. Marine, who fought in the Solomons and killed many of your people."

As for their ability to make superior aluminum cans, according to our son, who has been over there for 6 months now, it would help if they put something besides fizzy, faintly straw-colored p***water in them.

New Belgium is now using Cans. Cans are a lot better for Beach/Lake/Boat/Pool than bottles, even if you don't drink out of the package, and pour into a cup.

New Belgium is now using Cans. Cans are a lot better for Beach/Lake/Boat/Pool than bottles, even if you don't drink out of the package, and pour into a cup.

Well I don't know if it's due to a predetermined bias against canned beer, considering what usually comes in cans, I feel Fat Tire in a can tastes different (i.e. not as good.)

Then you've got Corona in a can... oh god, it's terrible! I enjoy Corona, and will sometimes salt it depending on the mood, but there is no balance of salt and lime in a can of Corona that can make it taste better. It perplexes me...

Well I don't know if it's due to a predetermined bias against canned beer, considering what usually comes in cans, I feel Fat Tire in a can tastes different (i.e. not as good.)

Then you've got Corona in a can... oh god, it's terrible! I enjoy Corona, and will sometimes salt it depending on the mood, but there is no balance of salt and lime in a can of Corona that can make it taste better. It perplexes me...

Corona is sold in clear glass, the skunked hops are what give it a lot of it's taste that you are use to, so it doesn't get that in the can. Sometimes skunky is good I guess :ban:

A good lined can is a better package for beer than a bottle is. Light is completely shut out so there's no chance of skunking. Unfortunately, canned beer has become synonymous with crap beer. Plus, canning is much more difficult for a craft brewer because the equipment is a much larger investment.

Things are changing and I'm seeing more craft beer in cans. 21st Amendment is selling their beer in cans around here. I've yet to try them, but I see them in the store. I'm all for more craft brewers to get into canning their beers. Maybe it'll take the taint off canned beer and at the same time get more people into better beer because it'll trick them since they'll think "This is in a can so it's not one of those fancy craft brews." :D

If my favorite beers were sold in cans I would probably opt for cans because they are relatively "green" compared to bottles. I would still pour into a glass to drink them though.

I can't remember the last time I drank beer out of a can.

I just had 3 cans of Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperandi IPA. Also, Surly Brewing's Furious comes in a can, as does Big Sky Brewing's entire lineup - like Moose Drool Brown Ale. This is good to know if you go to places that don't allow glass bottles, but do allow BYO.

I say let em' have their superior cans..........At least we don't have to deal with the Godzilla problem :D

godzilla1.jpg

I really like the Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperandi IPA...I would link to their site but b/n the flash and "music" the site is obnoxious.

Very good canned beer.

Interesting that Fat Tire was mentioned. I did a taste test at a bar during GABF and the canned beer is a different beer. For me in the can it was "brighter"...I really liked it and would have it over the bottle. I can see how it might not appeal to everyone.

This thread has given ample reason to believe that glass bottles and crown caps are going to be around for a long time. It seems like an antiquated technology (as anything from the 19th century does these days), but think about pen & paper - invented by the Egyptians 4K YA, and not going anywhere, either. Simple is good, too.

too bad they make mostly shvt beer

Yebisu beers are actually pretty tasty stuff. :)

We toured the Yebisu Beer Museum back in May and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of their beer. I'd purchase it again if it was available in the US.

Yebisu beers are actually pretty tasty stuff. :)

We toured the Yebisu Beer Museum back in May and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of their beer. I'd purchase it again if it was available in the US.

Yebisu is the reason I qualified that statement with "mostly." My local sushi bar has it.

Getting a Sopporo at sushi bars is half the fun! The cans are awesome; super thick aluminium, I certainly wouldn't try to crush it on my forehead.

Great Canned Craft Brews:
Oskar Blues - freakin' amazing brews!
21st Amendment Brewery
Butternuts
New Belgium: I really think these taste different out of a can, in a bad way.

Getting a Sopporo at sushi bars is half the fun! The cans are awesome; super thick aluminium, I certainly wouldn't try to crush it on my forehead.

I actually had no idea Sapporo came in cans (man-can sized?) The sushi bars I go to have Sapporo bombers.

Also, off-topic, but strangely enough if anybody asked me what food Reno is known for I'd have to say sushi. There's an all-you-can-eat sushi joint on what seems like every friggin corner.

Latest posts

Back